Tom Hanks, one of the greatest actors of my time, if not ever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Aug 27, 2002.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Tom Hanks, has become one of my favorite actors over the years. Put a unique role up to Mr Hanks, and he does a splendid job at it.

The man is down to earth, a great actor and appreciated by many. The other nigth on Jay Leno Tom walked out to a standing very HAPPY crowd. I have seen other actors come out and get the ho hum, please now applaud treatment.

I believe this man is on a great movie streak that just keep getting better and better.

Any opinions?

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

He is one of those great actors who we would like to see in more risky roles (like Denzel in Training Day). I haven't watched road to perdition yet, but that mihgt be one of those.

He is easily America's favorite actor.

--
    Holadem

3. Declan

Declan Second Unit

IMHO Road to Perdition is flawless in the acting department by every cast member, special praise goes to Hanks, Newman and Law.

Also if Conrad Hall does not get an Oscar for the cinematogaphy, then there is something wrong with the world.

4. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

If there's an actor's Hall of Fame, he'd be there right now. Tom Hanks has one of the most versatile filmographies of any actor living today. The only thing he really hasn't done is a balls-to-the-walls horror or action movie.

You know an actor has range when he was the dude from Bachelor Party in one era, and a Army Ranger Captain in Saving Private Ryan the next.

5. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    He's Tom Hanks...most everyone loves him. From my parents all the down to kids who love Woody. I'd like him in riskier pictures, but he seems to do just fine. He's as likeable as they come[​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck

6. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Eh, he's overrated.
    JUST KIDDING!!!! I just thought I'd say it before someone else did. [​IMG]
    Even with 2 Best Actor Oscars, Hanks could probably still be *underrated* as an actor. For myself, if asked for names of of "great actors living today," I'd come up with a list of Really Serious Actors such as Sean Penn, Russell Crowe, Jack Nicholson (who can act, when he's not slumming), Robert De Niro (ditto), and a host of others. Tom Hanks would probably be way down the list.
    However!
    When I saw the AFI Lifetime Achievement Awards program, I was amazed to be reminded again and again and again just how good he was in just how many good movies. He got most of his real stinkers/trivial movies over with at the beginning of his career, and has generally chosen well since then.
    Looking at his filmography, between 1980 and 1990, I only saw 3 of his films (in bold) and didn't ever see "Bosom Buddies," so he was not much on my radar then.
    He Knows You're Alone (1980) .... Elliot
    "Bosom Buddies" (1980) TV Series .... Kip 'Buffy' Wilson (1980-82)
    Splash (1984) .... Allen Bauer
    Bachelor Party (1984) .... Richard 'Rick' Ernesto Gassko
    Man with One Red Shoe, The (1985) .... Richard
    Volunteers (1985) .... Lawrence Bourne III
    Money Pit, The (1986) .... Walter Fielding
    Nothing in Common (1986) .... David Basner
    Every Time We Say Goodbye (1986) .... David
    Dragnet (1987) .... Pep Streebeck
    Big (1988) .... Joshua 'Josh' Baskin
    Punchline (1988) .... Steven Gold
    'burbs, The (1989) .... Raymond 'Ray' Peterson
    Turner & Hooch (1989) .... Det. Scott Turner
    However, between 1990 and now, I've seen most of them...
    Joe Versus the Volcano (1990) .... Joe Banks
    Bonfire of the Vanities, The (1990) .... Sherman McCoy
    League of Their Own, A (1992) .... Jimmy Dugan
    Sleepless in Seattle (1993) .... Samuel 'Sam' Baldwin
    Philadelphia (1993) .... Andrew Beckett
    Forrest Gump (1994) .... Forrest Gump
    Apollo 13 (1995) .... Jim Lovell
    Toy Story (1995) (voice) .... Sheriff Woody
    That Thing You Do! (1996) .... Mr. White
    Saving Private Ryan (1998) .... Captain John Miller
    You've Got Mail (1998) .... Joe Fox
    Toy Story 2 (1999) (voice) .... Sheriff Woody
    Green Mile, The (1999) .... Paul Edgecomb
    Cast Away (2000) .... Chuck Noland
    Road to Perdition (2002) .... Michael Sullivan
    ...and I'll be going to see anything he does from now on. Starting with:
    Catch Me If You Can (2002) .... Carl Hanratty

7. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

He is one of the greatest actors ever. Not just of our time. It's true what somone else said. How can you not like Tom Hanks? And he is definately a versitile actor. I still can't get over that he did not win an Oscar for Cast Away. It was just so simple. He was the movie, he made the movie. Except for Wilson, he needed no supporting cast to make a great film. Any Tom Hanks movie that comes out I will be at. I am finally getting to see Road to Perdition on Friday. I can't wait.

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

9. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Maybe not the best actor ever (people like Buster Keaton through Gene Hackman come to mind), but really damn near the top of the heap. Wonderful actor in a variety of different roles. Philadelphia is perhaps responsible for forcing the issue of gay rights into the mainstream view. There is still alot of misinformation about AIDS and homosexuality out there which causes undue predjudice and hatred, but this movie is one that could (and presumably has) changed alot of people's minds.
    Even though it's been nine years or so, I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Vickie[​IMG]

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

[off topic]

12. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Oh yes! I was shocked too.
    [/way off topic]

13. David Dennison

David Dennison Second Unit

I'll give my vote to Tom Hanks as the greatest actor ever. It is a tough pick with a lot of equally deserving nominees, but Tom is my favorite both on and off the screen.

14. Adam Lenhardt

15. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S

16. Adam Lenhardt

17. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

Tom Hanks is this generation's Spencer Tracy. Tracy like Hanks had a natural acting style and radiated honesty and decency. When you see Tom on the screen, you just can't help rooting for him. Even in "Road To Perdition" playing a hit man, you can't help feeling he's a decent guy trapped in a terrible job to provide for his family. A truly splendid actor and human being by all accounts.

Another big reason for Tom's success is his selection of scripts and projects. Just look at his batting average in the 90s to today: Big, League of Our Own, Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan, Castaway. All terrific films. Many other fine actors never get a chance to shine because they are not as skilled at picking the very best scripts.

18. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    The man is a chamelion! He has an uncanny ability to transform himself mind AND body to suit a role. I call him the Babe Ruth of actors because he hits the ball out of the park with every film he does!
    Vickie, more Tom film's from the eighties you should check out are The Money Pit, The Burbs, The Man with One Red Shoe and definatly Bachelor Party. Seeing him in these comedies will really put him in perspective for you. If someone had told me that the wooley haired kid from Splash! would go on to be the next Jimmy Stewart I would have laughed me ass off. But here I sit...
    I've only seen Philadelpia once, that was enough. Great film, just too intense for me to watch again.
    A little trivia for you guys and gals, did you know that Tom Hanks was offered the role that went to Keanu Reeves in Speed? Imagine that!

19. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Yes I think he is a very great actor. My favorite role of his is in THE GREEN MILE. But then that movie was chock full of great performances by Michael Clarke Duncan, Sam Rockwell, Doug Hutchinson, David Morse, Michael Jeter, really all the actors.

Oh and it is Haley Joel Osment!

20. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Question about his role in Road to Perdition. Is he really a bad guy? I have not yet seen this movie but will be on Friday night. I was wondering if he has ever played the bad guy in any movie. I would actually like to see that.