Tom Cruise will never receive an Oscar. Hypothetical...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd stone, Jul 26, 2004.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Easily summed up in 6 words....

Born on the 4th of July

This gem STILL boggles my mind to this day, how he did not manage to nab the Oscar for his performance here. From the young High School gentle boy, to the rattled and unpredicatable man he became from the war, which he carried for the rest of his life.

We have people winning Oscars for many various reasons, some of them being for who is hip that year or what PR issue should we chime in to.

From my understanding Mr. Cruise does not fall into any of the above categories, but into a category most film critics have truly yet to grasp..."good acting".

Am I a fan of this movie and of Tom Cruise himself? Sure, however a person could detest this actor and still feel inclined to give him the Oscar and where credit is due. Make no mistake, the Oscar statue was looking straight in the path of Tom that night, only to be gazing the man sitting behind him.

I for one feel Tom may win an Oscar some day, but will it be for an "acting" category, or simply falling into the cliche categories mentioned above?

Born on 4th of July - Oscar robbed in 1989

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i thought his work in magnolia was quite good too. i still dont understand how the academy passed over bill macy for fargo [​IMG]

CJ

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Easy. Have you seen Daniel Day-Lewis' performance in My Left Foot? Cruise was good in Born but, in my view, Lewis' performance deserved the Oscar and was the more memorable one.

~Edwin

4. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Well you can't simply dismiss the winner of the Oscar that night just because your favorite didn't win. Daniel Day-Lewis was excellent as Christy Brown in My Left Foot.
    Tom will get his one day, probably when he's about 70. He'll slowly walk up to the podium wheezing, and everyone will stand and clap.

5. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Agreed. Daniel Day Lewis's performance was perhaps the best of that decade. Cruise was great in BOTFOJ, but Lewis was extraordinary.

Btw, I though Cruise deserved it more for Jerry Maguire.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Or Rain Man (Supporting Actor).

7. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    I agree that if you're going to give Cruise a mercy Oscar, it should have been for "Rain Man", where he was actually very good. I also thought he was excellent in "The Color of Money" and I don't think he was nominated for that film at all. For pure young energy and oozing charisma alone, that performance should have gotten him something, and the fact that it's also in one of the great follow-up films of all time (managing to hold its own against "The Hustler" quite well!), should have equaled at least a nomination.

He was also excellent in BOTFOJ, but as Edwin and others noted, and I agree, DDL was simply incredible in My Left Foot, and really deserved the win that year.

I actually think it'll be as Steve describes...wheezing and all! [​IMG]

-Dennis

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

Absolutely. He'll get a "long-service" Oscar, much as Al Pacino did for Scent Of A Woman or Paul Newman for The Color Of Money. Neither was his best work by far, but it was IMHO recognition for "long-service" and being passed over for what, in retrospect, should have been Oscar-winning work.

9. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Every time a declaration is made that someone or a film is robbed of an award, it is unfortunate because of the accusation being made to the person or film that actually won the award.

It is not as if Daniel Day-Lewis just came out of nowhere and did not deserve the award. Among others, here are some of the organizations that also thought he was the best actor that same year:

Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards
    National Society of Film Critics
    New York Film Critics Circle
    London Critics Circle
    BAFTA

No one can get robbed of something that he or she didn’t own to begin with.

~Edwin

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

There has only been one time in my entire life where I thought an actor was robbed (My Cousin Vinny debacle) but there have been several moments where I thought films were robbed (Hoop Dreams)..

But BOTFOJ isn't it. Lewis was extraordinary and deserved the win.

11. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"Absolutely. He'll get a "long-service" Oscar, much as Al Pacino did for Scent Of A Woman or Paul Newman for The Color Of Money. Neither was his best work by far, but it was IMHO recognition for "long-service" and being passed over for what, in retrospect, should have been Oscar-winning work."

And that is precisely the kind of political nonsense that, in my view, severely damages the credibility of the award -- this is what leads to Tommy Lee Jones beating out Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List and A Beautiful Mind besting Fellowship of the Ring. Industry vet doing his usual schtick vs. up-and-coming mega-talent. Who do we give the award to? The vet, because we can always reward the youngster later. Trouble is, when you get around to rewarding the youngster after he has become the vet, you do so once again at the expense of someone else.

I say let the name of the category be the only determining factor, and leave the political b.s. at the door. Best Actor should mean Best Actor -- not "Best Actor Who Hasn't Won Yet" or "Best Actor Who Was Passed Over So We Could Give an Oscar to [insert name here]".

12. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Cruise is still at the top. If he plays things carefully and chooses an Oscar-worthy role he could do it. Cruise has talent but his reputation as a not-quite-best-of-the-best, his pretty face, his tendency to choose vapid action roles a little too frequently, and lack of serious roles in independent film (always ups the Acting! quotient), count against him.

If he really wants an Oscar he's going to have to choose the roles like his ex-wife does or else it's an honorary or make-up Oscar.

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Well said Ernest.

Also, considerations like "he won last year", or "she already has two", as against the nominee who hasn't won at all yet. So what if the best already has one/two/several? If his/her performance was the best, that performance should win, regardless of extraneous circumstances.

Same applies really to all categories, e.g. best director, best score, best screenplay (although such issues don't seem to usually affect voting for the writers, and clearly they haven't stopped John Williams from garnering a heckuva lot of Oscars).

So, let's see if the Cruiser can win one on merit, or gets a "veteran" Oscar in about 20 years' time.

14. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"Cruise is still at the top. If he plays things carefully and chooses an Oscar-worthy role he could do it. Cruise has talent but his reputation as a not-quite-best-of-the-best..."

Woah, you lost me there. I think Cruise is a fantastic actor, and I think he is one of the best American actors working today. He's a three-time nominee, and even though I've come to have only middling respect for the worth of an AMPAS award, I still recognize three nominations for acting is no fluke.

"...his pretty face, his tendency to choose vapid action roles a little too frequently, and lack of serious roles in independent film (always ups the Acting! quotient), count against him."

Perhaps, but when you think about it, Cruise has a resume that reads like a who's-who of modern directors. Stanley Kubrick, Oliver Stone, Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg, Paul Thomas Anderson, Barry Levinson, John Woo, Brian de Palma, Michael Mann, Ron Howard, Tony Scott, Neil Jordan, Cameron Crowe. Again, he's been nominated three times, and one could argue he was overlooked for Rain Man -- but he just can't seem to take one home.

I think his success and his looks count against him, especially in an industry where success earns you respect and (sadly) hatred in disproportionate measure.

"Also, considerations like "he won last year", or "she already has two", as against the nominee who hasn't won at all yet. So what if the best already has one/two/several? If his/her performance was the best, that performance should win, regardless of extraneous circumstances."

Couldn't agree more. Well said back at ya.

15. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Looking at your post Ernest it's amazing how many famous directors Tom's worked with, add Francis Coppola (The Outsiders) to that list. I can't think of any other actor who's worked with so many prominent directors.

And what about the great actors Cruise has acted along side: Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Robert Duvall, Jon Voight, Jason Robards, Max Von Sydow and Kurt Russell. But he has yet to work with De Niro and Pacino, arguably the two greatest actors of our time.[​IMG]

16. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I agree with Ernest. I think Cruise is one of the best actors working today. He just doesn't get the respect he deserves because of his popularity and his good looks. Anyone that doesn't think he's good should check out Vanilla Sky, BOTFOJ as mentioned, and Magnolia to see how good he can be.

I can't wait to see him in his turn as a cold blooded killer in Michael Mann's Collateral.

Steve,

It's not Francis Coppola, it's Francis Ford Coppola. [​IMG]

17. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Cruise, DeNiro, and Pacino in the same movie? That I would pay money to see, even if it was the three of them shooting the shit for 2 hours! [​IMG]

18. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Count me in on thinking Tom Cruise is a terrific actor. And maybe the most underrated actor going. I've never gotten the sense he's forcing himself in scenes.

He's such a natural that he gets overlooked. His work in Magnolia was stellar and took some risk in playing a very unlikeable character. The scene with the reporter and how Cruise reacts to her questioning is one of the best acting performances I've ever seen.

Agreed. And Jerry Maguire is among my top 10 movies of all time. Great stuff by the entire cast but Cruise was phenomenal.

He's won some Golden Globes but never an Oscar. Hopefully he'll get rewarded by the academy for a performance and not a sympathy one.

19. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

I also agree. Great performance,and one that I think will only grow in stature over the years.

There is early Oscar talk (Supporting) around his performance in Collateral. Denzel won one for playing a bad guy, maybe Cruise can too.

20. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"Cruise, DeNiro, and Pacino in the same movie? That I would pay money to see, even if it was the three of them shooting the shit for 2 hours!"

Maybe...imagine seeing that kind of a line-up only to find out they were starring in something truly awful. Imagine this poster:

Cruise
    DeNiro
    Pacino
    Norton
    Duval
    Freeman
    Hoffman
    Pitt
    Defoe
    Law
    Depp
    Hanks