What's new

Tom Clancy games on PC (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Do the Clancy games (Ghost Recon and the upcoming Splinter Cell) control pretty much like standard FPS games? I ask because I remember having a hard time becoming comfortable with the Rainbow Six demo controls years ago. I didn't have a manual--and, to be honest, I didn't give it much of a chance--but it seemed a little difficult. I remember having to set up routes and the like. Are the new games like this, or are they mouse and keyboard (with more depth than a straight shooter, naturally)?

Also, my computer's a dinosaur. Should I just get these on the Cube, or should I wait until I upgrade my computer? I'm guessing the computer version will be more impressive.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Ghost Recon involves route planning and the like, but more or less performs like FPS, aim at the target and shoot. The planning part is pretty important when completing missions and it's really not all the hard to do.

Splinter Cell on the other hand is a totally different game and not even a FPS, it's 3rd person. The game relies heavily on stealth and thinking things through before you do them. As far as how it controls, well, it works surprisingly well with a keyboard and mouse. The mouse look feature is quite a bit more accurate then the controller scheme on the Xbox.

Both games will seem difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it it will be really fun.

Edit: If your computer is a dinosaur forget about playing Splinter Cell because it's a hog. You might be able to play Ghost Recon though.

James T

Screenwriter
First, my PC is a P4 1.7 GeForce2MX 256 megs of RAM.

As fun as Clancy games are, the min requirements on the box are nothing but lies. Ghost Recon was too slow and skips a lot. In a game that requires you to make split second decsions, this was unacceptable. Same thing with Splinter Cell.
Ghost Recon plays almost exactly like Rainbow Six, the only difference is that R6 takes place in urban areas while Ghost Recon takes place in the great outdoors.

I tried both games on PC/Xbox and I like it a lot better on the Xbox.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, it's a dinosaur. Athlon 500. :) :frowning:

Splinter Cell sounds pretty cool. I like third person games as long as they use the mouse. Heretic II, Alice, FAKK2 and some others controlled very well, compared to tedious keyboard-only games like Tomb Raider.

I think I'll go the demo/rental route to see where I prefer it. I desperately need to upgrade my computer, so hopefully computing power won't be a factor in my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks