1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Brokaw retiring in '04

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, May 28, 2002.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Tom Brokaw will be retiring from NBC in 2004. Plans are for Brian Williams to take the reins after Brokaw's departure, which will follow the 2004 Presidential election. Hopefully, he'll find some time to do a little more writing. His books on World War II are outstanding.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    [​IMG]
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Actually, he's just giving up the nightly news gig. He'll continue to work for NBC on Special Reports, etc.

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Brian Williams is a really good anchorman. MSNBC's coverage of the 2002 elections rocked, and he had a lot to do with that. It's good to see the main chair going to someone so competent. He's no Laurie Dhue (Fox News) though...

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Brian Williams is a true journalist, not just a news reader or news actor. He knows his stuff, and he is amazingly articulate (one of the few who know that the word "media" is a plural, and constructs sentences appropriately).

Long wait for him, though. He was threatening to bail out and go to CBS.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'm glad to see Brokaw go. He has '0' on-air personality. Boring, very boring and mono-tone.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I've never been comfortable with Browkaw's smugness, and those stupid smile-on-cue grins of his at the end of "light" segments on his nightly broadcast. Williams, on the other hand, cuts to the chase.

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Man and I thought I was the only one out there who felt this way about Mr Browkaw. I really never liked his broadcasting style and some of the side comments he makes are just terrible.

KyleS

9. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I've never cared for any of the "big three" news anchors myself. IF I am curious about Corporate America's spin on the day's news I'll watch Jennings on the grounds that I find him the least annoying of the three. Give me Bob Edwards or Robert Siegel any day.

10. MathewM

MathewM Stunt Coordinator

I lost any respect for Brokaw after a report he did within Iraq a couple of months ago. He was interviewing clean cut Iraqi college grads (I'm curious about their education system. Let's see, Bioterrorisim 101, Dictatorism 101, Hate Crime 101, Black mail and Bribery 101...I could go on but I think you get the point). He actually smugly interviewed these 'kids' why they hate America. It was the most preposterous thing I had ever seen. NBC had clearly stooped to Al-jeezera levels. What was even more evident was that within almost every shot, in the background was a mural of Saddam Hussein. Now tell me how this is honost up-front reporting?!

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Whew! Now we can finally understand what they're saying on the NBC news!

12. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

The networks have evening news? Stopped watching their biased "have you stopped beating your wife yet?" type news a long time ago.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

MathewM said:

14. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Wow I didn't know people actually didn't like Tom Brokaw, I've also liked him much better then the other big 2, I've never minded Brian Williams. When I watched a ton of MSNBC last year I grew to like him more. Perhaps its because I grew up on NBC but I prefer their News Personalities to any other station.

Brian

15. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I've always liked Brokow - especially compared to Peter Jennings and Dan Rather. He comes across as a very genuine fellow, in my opinion.

Still, I think all network news is aimed at the lowest common denominator of our society - the infamous Joe Sixpack himself. I prefer the depth and substance of cable news shows over network news. Network news is total tabloid journalism if you ask me.