What's new

Tom and Ron, I have a very good question for you... (1 Viewer)

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Can we know the difference in term of POWER between the old and the new CS-Ultra driver? And also, you told us in ur website that the CS+ driver has 80% of the CS-Ultra driver power (this was the old cs-ultra driver) But what about now? Because if the new CS-Ultra woofer is more powerfull, I'm gonna think more about buying the CS-Ultra instead of the CS+ 'cause I WANT BAAASSSSSSSSSSS!! :D

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I would add 1 more dB to the CS_U "rankings" among the SVS stable. That's probably being a little conservative...but we try to miss low.

So if we *in a general sense* used to say...(regarding clean output)

CS = X

CS+ = X+6 down low and X+3 across the intended operating bandwidth.

CS_U = X+7.5 down low and X+4 across the intended operating bandwidth

Now, I would say,

CS_U = X+8.5 down low and X+5 across the intended operating bandwidth.

Of course, these are rough figures..completely dependent on the style of tests used....but it offers a quick reference chart of sorts.

TV

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Don't know if you'll answer this Tom, but does this mean that the Ultra is now closer to a Tempest in Vd than a Mass 2012?

If so, damn, that's one freakin impressive 12"er.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I really have no idea. We've switched to dual 10" spiders and we're using some VC technology that isn't found in any other home driver afaik....among other tweaks...

I'm hoping we see some customer feedback on the new CS_ultras soon...I think it will be interesting.

TV

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Tom

>I'm hoping we see some customer feedback on the new CS_ultras soon...I think it will be interesting.<

So you are moving from x+3 to x+4. Would 1 DB really be that noticable? If it was it would only be at the extreme limits of the system. Am I missing something?

Thanks anyway Tom, saw your post in another thread which answered my question.

Bob

Gordon B

Agent
TV--I just received my second Ultra today. My first one was purchased last fall and is, I presume, one of the older drivers. Will the different decibel outputs give me any trouble when I calibrate. They are sitting about 4 1/2 feet apart on either side of an entertainment armoire in a very large room (9 or 10,000 cubic feet). Is there anything I should watch out for? By the way, I hooked it up and ran a couple of loud movie scenes (TS 2 intro and U-571) at reference level and the difference was incredible. I couldn't get near reference level before on those two scenes with just one Ultra.

Gordon

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
:confused: damn! Im all mixt minded with these dB numbers... Can u just tell me how more powerfull in "x times" the new CS-Ultra is compared to the old one and the others subs? If the new CS-ultra driver is really more powerfull, I may considerate to buy this one instead of a CS+. Thank you for ur answers!!! :D

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Gordon,
I think we've hit all your calibration questions in private emails...but if I missed anything let me know.
Claude,
The new CS_Ultra driver allows another dB or two in maximum output capabilities. So if someone was hitting 130dB (1m from a pair of corner loaded Ultras)...they can hit maybe 132dBs now...:)
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks