Toll Bridge in Orange Beach. Private owner

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David McGough, Jun 28, 2004.

1. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

We just got back from there from vaction.
    We had to go over this Toll Bridge $2.00 one way.

I found out this is owned by a man who lived there.
    I thought all Toll Bridges was ran by the city/county or state.

Can just anybody start a Toll Bridge??
    Are all like this?
    Fill me in...
    David

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

I think you mean "Can anyobody just build a Toll Bridge?" The short answer would seem to be that anybody who spends his own money to build a bridge - especially one that takes people across land he owns so that they can get to other places - has every right in the world to charge a toll. The reason governments own most toll bridges is because governments build most bridges, toll or otherwise, because bridges tend to be big, expensive, labor-intensive projects and generally cut across the property of many individuals. (Most goverment tolls were established in lieu of bond issues to build the bridge, and intended as temporary measures to be ended when the cost of construction was paid off. But there is nothing so permanent as a temporary government action, so the tolls remain with us. [​IMG])

But in some cases a local individual or group may have the wherewithal to build a bridge, do so, and collect tolls to recoup their costs (and maybe make a buck.)

The other possibility is that the local government sold the right to collect tolls (in exchange for a percentage of the take) to some private group that can collect the tolls and maintain the bridge more efficiently and less expensively than the government could.

Can't speak to the particulars of whichever bridge you happened across, but there are two plausible explanations to consider.

Regards,

Joe

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Tolls suck. Who's with me!?

4. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

tolls are cheaper than building/maintaing the bridge yourself..

5. Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning Second Unit

Jack Fanning
    David, I just got back from vacation and crossed that very same toll bridge.

We stayed at the Phoenix 10 condo complex, right next door to the world famous Flora-Bama club...where did you stay?

Eat anything particularly good while you were there? Louisiana Lagniappe was my fave.

6. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I dunno about bridges, but toll roads can be privately owned.

7. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

You want to cross the river you must pay the toll. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The Ambassador Bridge connecting Detroit to Windsor is privately owned. Also, there is a small residential island in the downriver area of Detroit called Grosse Isle. There are two bridges to the island -- one is publicly owned, one is private. The publicly-owned bridge is being shutdown for repairs, and there have been some local arguments regarding residents being forced to pay a toll while the public bridge is out of commission.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If it's private then by all means charge whatever toll you like. If it's public I'd rather it just be toll free and receive funding from state taxing.

10. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

The orange beach toll bridge is the most pathetic toll bridge i have ever seen for the money($2) [​IMG]... I usually ride the tollway up until the last logical turnoff and then just go back to the main road (they run parallel for quite a while), since we usually stay closer to gulf shores than orange beach.

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

So the burden of keeping up the bridge is placed mostly on those who don't use it and who may never even see it in their entire lives. Makes sense to me. [​IMG]

What do you think a toll is? It is a special instance of taxation, a use tax charged to those crossing the bridge. Since the money goes to the state (or the county or whoever) there is no practical difference between this and a "tax" except the name. And the fact that only the people who directly benefit from the bridge are made to pay for it.

Regards,

Joe

12. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Hmmm, Maybe I should 'tax' my friends who invite themselves over for movie-night....

13. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Can't tax movie night. You'll have to pay a distribution fee for showing the film "for profit". That or Harvey Weinstein will come to your house and kick you in the hoo-ha.

14. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (Rt. 13) between Va. Beach and Cape Charles is privately owned. It is owned by the Kellam family... at least it used to be.

15. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

>We stayed at the Phoenix 10 condo complex, right next door to >the world famous Flora-Bama club...where did you stay?

Jack
    We stayed at the Ocean Breeze West. Its about 2 miles past the Flora/Bama bar on the right. Just past the Shrimp Basket. We stay there in the summer. We have a time share at
    The Shores (right across from Ruby Tuesday) Labor Day week.

Been going there the last 20 years. Can't belive how its growing up. We ate at the Louisiana Lagniappe one night.
    Nice place, good view of the boats. Came back next day wife did the shopping thing. I watched the boats come in and cleaning the fish.

David

16. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Toll Door with or without a moat

17. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I know of at least one privately owned bridge at the Jersey Shore, which has been going through some financial problems. The bridge is getting up there in age, and significant repairs are in order. Locals have become somewhat reliant on its service, and public funds have even been recently dispersed (>1 million) for repairs with the agreement to remain in service for 20 years. Recently a pillar collapsed, and the bridge was closed. The ownership group is probably going to declare bankruptcy, essentially stealing public money while milking the bridge for all they could. Because locals use the bridge, and it is at the Jersey Shore which is a tourist attraction, the local or state government will probably step in, take over ownership after the bankruptcy and make repairs.

This brings up the one problem with such bridges. Being owned by private individuals maintenence levels are generally lowered as profit is the driving force (not public interest/commerce). This can be a dangerous situation when dealing with bridges.

J

18. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yes, just like how everyone pays taxes that partly go to public schools even if YOUR kids attend a private school that you pay for separately. It's just one of those things..

19. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

The people who live in a community, even those who have no kids at all, arguably derive a benefit from having that community's children educated. It is less clear how people who don't live in the community where a toll bridge is benefit from it. Which doesn't mean there isn't some merit to the comparison you make. But that's as far as I think this discussion can go and still stay on the right side of the forum's "no politics" rule. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe