What's new

Toilet tank installation (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Bought a Toto Drake (2-piece)earlier this year, installed it all fine. There is about an inch gap between the tank and the wall it's on. The oddness is that the tank isn't completely stable as it kind of wobbles when pushed, especially since there is a gap to the wall.

I reread the installation instructions and made sure I did everything correctly, but I don't think this is normal. The tank is connected to the bowl via 2 brass bolts.

This is the order from top to bottom as per the instructions and what I did.

Bolt
rubber washer
tank bottom
bowl top
brass washer
brass nut

It really warns you not to overtighten, so I really was very careful to simply tighten it enough so water doesn't leak but I'm wondering if I should simply tighten it some more or is the wobbly thing normal? Right now, I simply jammed some foam between the tank and the wall, but it's not a permanent solution. Think I should just tighten it some more?

Jay

P.S. BTW, the Drake is the best toilet I have ever used. It is awesome, I have never had a clogged toilet in the 8 months of use, which is infinitely better than the American Standard el cheapo model it replaced which was there when I moved in.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

If it's a porcelain tank, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the bolts. You will crack the porcelain. The bolts should be just tight enough to prevent the tank from leaking.

I speak from experience on this one. :frowning:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, but then why is it wobbly? My father's old American Standard (not a 1.6gpf model) seems to be rock solid.

Not that I lean back on the thing when on the crapper, but my mom who has weak knees and some balancing problems will sometimes sit back into the tank upon landing. :) I put more foam back there to make it stronger and less of a wobble just last night.

Jay

BrettB

Senior HTF Member

Where is the rubber gasket between the tank and bowl?

Toto makes a great water closet.

I've never really heard of anyone having this problem before. It's a toilet not a Lazy-Boy. :P

Overtightening is definitely a problem. I think you're solution of stuffing foam back there is probably good.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The rubber gasket is there, but I was just showing how the two bolts connect the tank and the bowl.

Funny you mention the gasket thing cause when I initially installed the tank, I completely forgot to put the gasket there so, my initial flush, I had water flowing out the bowl side and onto the bathroom tile..YIKES!!!!!! So I had to drain the tank and remove the tank, install gasket, redo the previous steps... Much better!!!! :D

Jay

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The tank should be reasonably stable, since it should be resting on the bowl with the gasket compressed between them. I would try tightening the bolts a little more, checking to see how far the tank and bowl are apart. If there is a large gap, I would tend to think the gasket isn't installed correctly.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I replace the gasket between my tank and bowl (25 year old toilet), and no matter how well I adjust and tighten the bowl has a bit of a wobble because the new gasket isn't as old and squished as the ancient gasket it replace..I replaced it 3 months ago and no real problems (knock on wood).

I'm leaving it alone for fear of too much tightening will indeed cause more trouble down the road possibly.

Note: Our toilet tank sits about 5 inches from the wall.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would put a couple of turns on the bolts and then test the tank for wobble. Repeat the process until the wobbling stops or is minimized. At that point you have tightened it enough. The rubber seal between the tank and the bowl may not be compressed enough, so the tank bottom is not making solid contact with the bowl.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Didn't get around to "the tightening" last night (had to do some bike maintenance), so I'll try tonight. But I wasn't able to see any large gap or anything. I'm sure it can be tightened some more though...

Mine comes with an ottoman.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Actually, as I mentioned before, it's not me, it's my mom when she comes over to visit. She doesn't have strong knees anymore and has a somewhat balance problem so upon sitting down, sometimes, she'll hit the back of the tank...

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Finally got around to tightening up the tank. Well, it's been tightened and now it's fairly stable. Still no leaks...:)

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks