What's new

Toilet problem - Weak first flush. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Its not a low-flow toilet either.

The first flush will barely empty the bowl. In a series of tests conducted by my research staff, a single tissue would not flush from the bowl on 4 out of 5 tests. Waiting for the toilet to re-fill and immediatly re-flushing results in a nice strong flush. Subsequent flushes are also nice and strong.

But if the toilet hasnt been flushed 30 minutes or more, the first flush is always very weak.

Looking inside the tank, the water level is normal. The "flapper" has a tight seal and no water is leaking through it when closed (or so it appears...no dripping sounds or anything)

Any ideas?

Jeff

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
You might check to see if the bowl outlets (around the rim) might be partially blocked. My wife used to like those cake cleaners in the tank but we found when they desolved they left residue in those small bowl holes (technical term there) and we had to clean each one out with a piece of wire. We no longer use those cake things ;)

Mort (whose tank is now flush with water)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
those cake things also tend to damage the rubber doo-hickies (more technical terms here) inside the bowl.

we popped one in, then a few weeks later my toilet started leaking. when i opened up the tank, the rubber thing-a-ma-jig was all crusted and warped.

ted (who, like mort, no longer uses cake things)

Mark Giles

Second Unit
I have a toilet problem too....

I have to hold down the handle to flush it. Any ideas on how to fix?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Sounds like the flapper is shot - it should remain up until the tank is emptied.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
for some strange reason, i've been thinking about this all day. that's the weird part. so, it sounds like the toilet is functionally working.

so, my guess is that it may be an outside problem....for some reason i'm thinking it may be related to the house's water pressure? you state that right after you flush, it works ... so maybe when the pressure "settles", you're not getting full velocity (or whatever) to that toilet?

totally pulling this out of my arse...but i can't think of anything else.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

I was kinda wondering how long it'd take this thread to get around to toilet humor ;)

Mort (who now knows it's much better to call a plumber)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: i actually didn't even mean that pun. sorry for ..... thread farting!

ted (who likes to copy mort)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Water pressure should have nothing to do with it, since the actual flush is a function of gravity. If the tank is being emptied on the first flush, I would look at either a blockage in the line or a venting problem.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I'd replace the guts and see what happens. It's a cheap fix if it works. If that doesn't work the shits gonna hit the fan.

robinkipson

Auditioning
Real Name
robinkipson
[COLOR= black]To clean the bathroom first we have to remove the curtain over the bathtub and dunk it into the solution of chlorine, bleach and it completely remove stains and keep mini-purification kit next to the flush in the toilet and bathroom.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]first flush[/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks