What's new

Toho plans to release R2 Godzilla series? (1 Viewer)

Dan Ealey

Grip
Real Name
Dan
I've lurked and listened. Anyone know if Toho has plans to release their Godzilla library on R2 DVD in the near future? I do not consider any American release worth a purchase, nor do I want any part of any bootleg DVD's being offered out of Ebay from Hong Kong.
I spent 4 years in Japan serving in the Navy, and there's just something special about the original Japanese language and soundtrack. I know Toho *could* if they wanted, and maybe do the films justice, but David Kalat wrote me a few years back saying Toho was effectively pricing themselves out of the market...wanting far too much yen per copy.
Any up-to-date info?
Also, how about the new Gamera Trilogy? Original language and soundtrack, of course!
If any of them are available, its time to find that all-region player :)
Thanks,
Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There are a ton of Japanese Godzilla DVDs out, retailing at about 6300yen each (about $45) each. A little more than average but not too bad.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp//search.htm...D&step=20&sub=
None of them carry English subtitles. It's funny, Toho is so frightened of reverse importation that they won't let the movies out in their original form and OSL in other countries, yet they refuse to put English subs on their releases because it screwes over their licensees who know G fans want OSL. *Sigh*
Email me privately, [email protected] RE Gamera etc

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Thankfully, the recent Gamera films are available in a great R2 box set with the original language and English subtitles. The discs also have commentaries, but these obviously are unsubbed. Note that you have to buy the box set of the films, as the individual releases do NOT have the subtitles. The set is well worth it though, as it comes in a beautiful box, and has two discs of bonus material, one for SFX and the other for production materials (making of's, trailers, etc), and a nice illustrated booklet and postcards with poster art. The bonus discs aren't subbed though. If the price is prohibitive (about $220 or so), the US company ADV Films has the rights to all three films and plans to release them at some point.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I grew up watching the Godzilla flicks but I won't watch them now as I would prefer to see them as they were originally released in Japan along with English subtitles.

A few years ago Criterion was planning on releasing the original Japanese version of Godzilla, but it never materialized. I wonder if anyone knows why.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I answered that before, Toho refuses to allow OSL releases outside of Asia because they are scared of reverse importation

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
If Toho doesn't allow OSL releases outside of Japan, does this mean that (Osamu Tezuka's) Metropolis is only going to be available on DVD in the U.S. in English-dubbed format, EVEN THOUGH ALL OF THE PRINTS SHOWN IN THE U.S. WERE SUBTITLED?!

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
Thankfully, the recent Gamera films are available in a great R2 box set with the original language and English subtitles. The discs also have commentaries, but these obviously are unsubbed. Note that you have to buy the box set of the films, as the individual releases do NOT have the subtitles. The set is well worth it though, as it comes in a beautiful box, and has two discs of bonus material, one for SFX and the other for production materials (making of's, trailers, etc), and a nice illustrated booklet and postcards with poster art. The bonus discs aren't subbed though. If the price is prohibitive (about $220 or so), the US company ADV Films has the rights to all three films and plans to release them at some point.
Thanks for the info, Jeff. I was debating buying these sets for quite awhile (the price is what usually keeps me away). I almost bought the individual releases but now that you mentioned those don't come with English subs, I'm probably going to opt for the box set.

Does ADV Films have the rights to the earlier Gamera films? And does anyone know the time frame that ADV plans on releasing the Gamera trilogy out here?

Andrew

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
Much like his statements about Super-35, Jeff Kleist's comments in this thread are unfounded and based on incorrect assumptions. There is simply no evidence that Toho refuses to allow OSL Godzilla releases. They may have made such things difficult, yes, but a flat out refusal?

Columbia almost included the Japanese version of "Godzilla 2000" on their disc of the film, but there was not enough time to include it. There was no "conspiracy", they simply ran out of time, which has been confirmed by Mike Schlesinger, the US producer of "Godzilla 2000", and by Masaharu Ina, head of Toho's US office.

Jeff is right about Toho being afraid of reverse importation, though; the Simitar DVD's were imported to Japan in large amounts. Toho does not want a repeat of that, nor do they want to sabotage a chance of their films being licensed by US companies by including English subs on their own domestic releases.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Joseph, you're wrong

MANY offers have been made to Toho to put out high quality uncut, subtitled versions of these movies. They REFUSE to allow this. I asked Toho myself years ago, and they basically told me to stuff it, it's not going to happen. That's why there is a flourishing fansub market on these movies.

They are more concerned about the older Godzilla movies in this aspect, and since I believe Columbia kicked in cash on G2k, it would make sense for them to have the leverage to put out an unbutchered version.

If anyone doesn't believe me, you can call Toho yourself. Their NY and LA offices are listed in the respective phone books.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info Jeff. All the more reason for me to be thankful for the VHS widescreen/subtitled dubs I have of a number of 60s Toho classics.

Since this would appear to be a dead issue as far as Toho taking action then it might be a good idea to have some widescreen DVD releases of the American dubbed versions just to give us some general improvement overall from the US companies that hold rights (a widescreen "King Kong vs. Godzilla" and "King Kong Escapes" which are still under Universal's control for instance).

Tom Oh

Second Unit
HK region 3 edition of Godzilla vs Megaguiras was released in original Japanese DD5.1 and in Cantonese. Subtitles are available in Traditional and Simplified Cinese and ENGLISH. It is in letterbox (nor anamorphic) format. Well, it sure sounds like a OAR and OSL. I don't know what other Godzilla DVDs are available like this. Disc is an original and not a pirated disc. It was released by Universe Laser & Video. I bought it for HK$40, which is about US$5.

Dan Ealey

Grip
Real Name
Dan
Thanks for all of the input! Seems like there is a lot of us pure G-fans out there wanting OSL! Jeff, is Y6500 a good price for the DVD's you linked us to? Sounds about right. What do you think of the quality?

$220 is not bad for the entire Gamera Trilogy. If you have not seen these films they are a real treat. IMHO they run circles around the Heisei series (and I'm a HUGE zilla fan!)with the exception of G vs MG. Where are they to be found?

Thanks again,

Dan

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered my copy of the Gamera set from CD Japan, and assuming it hasn't gone out of print, they're a good place to order from. I picked up the G vs MG disc from HK as well, and it's a nice disc, especially considering the price. Hopefully, we'll get GMK that way as well, instead of a bad dub job here.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Tom Oh, If I'm not mistaken, you cannot combine English subs and Japanese audio. At least that's how it was with G2K
Dan, you're really not going to do much better than CD Japan prices. The shipping is a killer, but you pay Japanese SRP and if you order with a buddy you can really cut the shipping down.
I haven't actually seen the discs personally, I'm not enough of a G-Fan to actually drop that kind of cash on them :)

Dan Ealey

Grip
Real Name
Dan
2 things:

1. Jeff: are you saying one could not select "English" as the subtitling and still enjoy the Japanese 5.1 audio? That selecting english disables that mode? What are you left with?

2. Now that I'm exploring different regions, could someone take a minute and explain the wild difference in prices between HK and Japanese releases of the same film. I imagine the HK are pirated and the quality must therefore be suspect. C'mon...$5US for a G-film? In VCD, sure, but I also saw G-film DVD's for sale (not on CD Japan) on DVDshelf (is that right?) for about $14US.

I consider myself a real G-fan, and also have scruples regarding pirating (as do most of us on this forum...read the bylaws), and I don't want to think I'm finding an awesome deal and end up supporting an illegal industry.

Thanks again for all of your comments and advice!

Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
1. Jeff: are you saying one could not select "English" as the subtitling and still enjoy the Japanese 5.1 audio? That selecting english disables that mode? What are you left with?

Yes, they disable your audio and subtitle buttons so you can only use the menus. You don't get the option of Japanese w/English subs.

2. Now that I'm exploring different regions, could someone take a minute and explain the wild difference in prices between HK and Japanese releases of the same film. I imagine the HK are pirated and the quality must therefore be suspect. C'mon...$5US for a G-film? In VCD, sure, but I also saw G-film DVD's for sale (not on CD Japan) on DVDshelf (is that right?) for about $14US.

Yep, many HK movies are very cheap. Shaolin Soccer (Being butchered at a theater near you in April!) is anamorphic, DD/DTS and about $6US. Universe Laser and Video are a legit company.One thing you have to remember is that in Japan, baseline video prices were set when the yen was closer to Y200-$1US (it's now about Y133/$1). That's why Japanese DVDs are so ludicrously priced. In the meantime, the HK$ is about $7.75/$1US

The Japanese discs are much better quality 95% of the time, but HK is certainly there for the budget minded consumer.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
On G2K, you couldn't watch the Japanese track with English subs. On G vs MG, you can. Don't know why they did the G vs MG disc differently, but I was glad they did. It's a good disc. Clean picture, good 5.1 audio. No extras, really, but for $5, you get OSL and English subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks