Toggling music/movies

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Josh Varghese, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Josh Varghese

Josh Varghese Stunt Coordinator

Apr 8, 2003
    I just recently upgraded to JBL N38IIs for mains and love 'em. Here's the question. I use my dvd player as a cd player as well. Right now it is connected to my HK AVR 125 with an optical cable only. So the problem with this is that if I take out a DVD, and put in a CD (I really like listening to CDs in just two channels) I have to change the receiver to Surround Off to turn off all decoding processes, and also I have to tell the receiver that there is no sub (music is just way to bass heavy with the sub playing also).

Other than just connecting the analog outputs of the dvd player into the receiver as well and just switching the receiver to those inputs with my music "presets" saved, is there anyway to toggle easily between these two "settings"?

Or are there any other suggestions for people with a similar situation?

Thanks in advance
    [email protected]
  2. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Nov 29, 1998
    How about getting a universal learning remote with macro capabilities? The One For All series are cheap, easily found (at places like Wal-Mart) and work well.
  3. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

Mar 16, 1999
    >also I have to tell the receiver that there is no sub (music is just way to bass heavy with the sub playing also).<

have you calibrated your sub using an spl meter and following the directions given? Generally, I have found that when the level for a sub is properly set, it works well for both movies and music. You should be able to FEEL the bass of a dynamic LFE track at the gut-level, while enjoying a proper bass balance for music.

If you don't have a meter or test disk, may I suggest the folllowing until you have one: set the bass level using a musical piece like Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture." Bring the sub-level up to where the cannons are loud and satisfying, but do not call attention to the sub itself. Then check it with your favorite blockbuster soundtrack. It should sound correct for both instances.