What's new

Toe-in vs. Matching Mains w/ Center...What would you do? (1 Viewer)

TomCL

Grip
Hi All,

What do you think is more important for a 7.1 home theater setup?:

1. For your front main (L/R) speakers mid-driver size to match your center's mid driver

2. Be able to toe-in your main speakers

Notes:
-Choosing between Infinity Primus 150 (5 1/4' driver) and Infinity Primus 140 (4' driver) bookshelf speakers to match with an Infinity Primus C25 center (5 1/4' driver)
-I cannot toe-in the 150 because it cannot mount on swivel mounts...only flush against the wall. It does however match the center channel's drivers
-The smaller 140 can be mounted on swivel mounts and toed-in, but it only has a 4' driver instead of 5 1/4' like the center.
-All three speakers have the same tweeter and the 150/140 have the same wattage
-My room is 12' x 24'
-Main speakers are 10 feet apart forming a perfect triangle to couch

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Not all speakers sound best toed-in. Can you not just listen for yourself to determine what sounds best with those particular speakers?

TomCL

Grip
Why would some not sound better toed-in? (forgive the newbie)

I can only find the Primus 150's at Circuit City, etc. Not the 140's...those would have to be bought online, so I can't compare the 140 with the C25 (center).

Really, I'm looking for theoretical viewpoints since I'm pretty much a novice.

TimJC

Stunt Coordinator
1. Matching your mains and center is key!

... my front soundstage is more or less sitting diagonal in a corner, and I found that I get a more expansive sound by actually toeing my mains out a little. So much about this depends on your room layout.

Tim

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

Well, there are differences in how the sound is presented based on toe-in. For example, I find that having the speakers (and we're talking in general terms here) facing straight ahead provides for a bit wider soundstage. Also, there are some speaker manufacturers who will design their speakers with a particular orientation in mind. For example, John DeVore - the designer of the speakers I currently own - advocates toe-in. But on the other hand you have Klaus Bunge of Odyssey Audio who says his speakers should face straight forward.

I could be wrong, but I think the equilateral triangle thing has more to do with the distances between speakers and listening position than it does toe-in. But ultimately what matters most is what sounds right to you. Don't put pressure on yourself to do things the "right" way or the "wrong" way. Almost every system has compromises, and there are many of us who do things differently than others. For example, I run a phantom center (i.e. no center speaker; center signal sent to mains). There are some people on here who can't stand not having a center, whereas people like me prefer it. It's just what works best in my particular system to my particular ears.

TomCL

Grip
Hmmm...

So maybe binging the mains closer together (say 8 ft. instead of 10 ft.) but keeping them facing forward would still provide a decent soundstage.

Or I could find a way to mount these 16lb monsters (Primus 150's) on a swivel mount.

TomCL

Grip
COOL!!
Thanks, Alan! That's just what I need. I'm getting a pair ASAP.

You're the man!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

Anytime....I had some Paradigm Mini-monitors up on those things....you won't believe how awesome they are - worth every penny!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks