What's new

Todd Rundgren: Help a true star out (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm suprised he's not in already!:eek: They let Pips in, They've taken half of anybody who ever had a hit song, I bet they've inducted Keith Richards dog, They induct and induct and he's not in! Hooyey. Hello it's him!:)
From Nazz to eternity....

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I don't see it happening. He has a couple of brilliant albums over his career, tops. The thing that his biggest fans seem to love most about him -- his all-over-the-place, undisciplined talent ("can write the catchiest of tunes when he has the inclination") -- is the very reason he hasn't put together a top echelon career. And while I do like him at his best, it's far from obvious, to me, that he deserves that kind of accolade.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Come on Stu! They let almost ANYBODY in. He led the Nazz, He led Utopia, he's made I don't know how many solo albums, he's a very good producer, he's produced alot of hit albums for others, many artists do covers of his songs, he's invented quite a few processing devices for get-tars. He's been on tour as a one man band with unique equipment he put together himself. He was very popular in the 70's and 80's. I hear his songs in TV commercials. He may not have been a wizzard but he was a true star with a feisty get-tar. "...Eddie are you kidding?...";)

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
Well, maybe it comes down to taste -- I don't think they let anyone in, his inventions don't really matter for these purposes, and his leading of Nazz and Utopia are the kind of things, a few songs aside, that I'd keep under my hat if I were gunning for the HOF. And the sheer, mind-numbing number of solo albums doesn't help him unless you can show a sustained, high level of quality, which I don't think you can.

Again, I like the guy, at his best, to be sure, but just don't see how his output leads to his induction.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Stu, I think Todd could be inducted as a producer alone. Can you name one famous album he's produced....without looking it up? I can. STAGE FRIGHT by The Band... I could name a few more.

How 'bout the rest of ya'all out thar, nary even an opinion...?

Trivia, when was HELLO IT'S ME first a hit? Hint: it's a trick question, sort'a.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
Actually, I know many albums he produced, and the fact is that producing one extremely good album isn't the ticket into the HOF. He also produced a lot of completely ordinary material I've owned (and sold) over the years -- mid-level Hall & Oates, late-in-career Cheap Trick, and Bat out of Hell may be your idea of greatness, but it ain't mine. (Though I didn't realize he produced Stage Fright, I have to say).

I should be clear -- I've owned a bunch of Rundgren albums (beginning with vinyl) -- Something/Anything?, A Wizard/A True Star, Hermit of Mink Hollow, The Tortured Artist, etc., the a-capella one, Utopia (the album-and-a-half edition), the Utopia Beatles-themed album. I'm by no means a fanatic, but I've heard a lot of his material over a lot of years. I like the guy, but to my ears, he's a guy who never had the discipline to live up to his potential.

In any event, I find this discussion kind of funny. Can it be that the only reason someone might not think Todd Rundgren deserves to be in the Hall of Fame is because that person doesn't know all Todd's done? Reasonable, knowledgeable people can disagree, even when both know all the facts.

Nevertheless, I wish y'all luck in getting Todd inducted.

John K Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Producer alone, just off the top of my head.

Patti Smith
Cheap Trick
Psychedelic Furs
Hall & Oats
XTC (Skylarking)
Grand Funk Railroad (Were an American Band)
The Tubes (Love Bomb)
Paul Shaffer

Oh. yeah and Bat Out Of Hell. (sold 26 million copies worldwide)

TR Firsts

On 1972's Something/Anything?, he played all
the instruments, sang all the vocal parts and acted as his own producer.

In 1978, Rundgren performed both the first interactive television concert in Columbus, Ohio, and the first live radio concert broadcast nationally by microwave, linking 40 cities around the country.

In 1979, he opened Utopia Video Studios where his first produced project, Gustav Holst's The Planets, was commissioned by RCA SelectiVision as the first demonstration software for their new videodisc format.

In 1980, Created the first music video to utilize compositing of live action and computer graphics.

In 1981, His creation of the first digital paint program for PC's which was licensed to Apple Computer.

In 1982 he performed the first live national cablecast of a rock concert via USA Network.

Composed, produced and performed the world's first interactive audio-only CD-ROM project No World Order, which was licensed to both Philips Interactive Media and Electronic Arts. released in 1993

1st CD+ title The Individualist. released in 1995 which included enhanced visual content/video. (A feature still used today by many artists)

Other TR notes:

Rundgren composed all of the music and lyrics for Joseph Papp's 1989 Off-Broadway production of Joe Orton's Up Against It -- the screenplay commissioned by The Beatles for what was to have been their third motion picture.

Hosted a weekly radio show, "The Difference with Todd Rundgren." Syndicated nationally to over 35 major-market stations.

In May 1995, Rundgren received the prestigious Berkeley Lifetime Achievement Award from the Popular Culture Society at UC Berkeley along with fellow recipients Robert Altman, Maya Angelou, Aretha Franklin, David Hockney, Liza Minelli and Brian Wilson.

In 1994, No World Order won "Best Composition/Arrangement for from the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences' inaugural awards and the "Best Interactive Disc of the Year" Award from Video Magazine.

His influence on Prince is pretty well known.

The new Liars CD is his best in years. The tour is as high tech as anything out there. I saw it in Atlanta & will be seeing it again in Nashville. At the age of 55 Todd is still kicking butt.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
"Att'a boy Luthor!" errrr John!:) You forgot about the Nazz. He's been at it since 1966. HELLO IT'S ME was first a hit by the Nazz in 1967, well, it made it up to 30-something for a few weeks. I remember hearing it and liking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks