Todd Hundley: A perfect example of what is wrong with pro sports

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Here's a guy who signed a $24 million contract to play for the Cubs, and in the first year of this contract hit .187 and played no defense. Yesterday he was named the Opening Day starting catcher, despite hitting under .180 this spring (when everyone else is knocking the cover off the ball) and despite Joe Girardi, a seasoned veteran, hitting over .350. And Girardi is much better defensively.

Let's face it -- the only reason Hundley is even on the team is because of the contract the Cubs signed last year. And we as fans are subjected to Hundley's embarassing presence because of it. When will the revolution in sports take place in which baseball and basketball players do not get guaranteed contracts? Or when players are paid for performance? I recommend a system in which half of a player's compensation is based on team results. You make the playoffs? You get a $1 million bonus. You win the championship? You win $5 million. You hit under .200? You're fired.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'm glad my Dodgers got rid of him [​IMG]

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Gotta love those Trib people running the show. [​IMG]
    Go ChiSox!!! [​IMG]

4. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

I understand that contracts are signed but in the long run isn't this a Job for them. If I was not up to par in my office I am sure I would get fired with no buyout. The same should go for athletes and entertainers. If you are not performing your job then your gone.

How about working it out on a per game salary? If the Cubs are paying Todd $24 million a year that would be $148,148.00 a game(162 games right). Just like the corporate world every year he is up for a review and they can review his salary accordingly. I could hear it now, "Sorry Mister Hundley, you did not meet your quota for home runs last year so we cannot give you a raise."

5. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

The revolution will happen after the twins win the 2002 world series, followed 5 minutes later by Selig annoucing the team is being contracted because there is no plan for a new stadium. The public outrage causes MLB to fold, allowing a much saner version of baseball to arise out of the ashes [​IMG]
    Yes, that's my pipe dream.

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yeah, I'm also glad the Dodgers dumped "Hollywood" Hundley, as they called him down here.
    Of course, the Dodgers have their own set of problems... [​IMG]

7. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

Just shows that there must be a dearth of MLB catching. Or at lease in the Cubs farm system. Oops, I forgot, we have a Cubs minor league farm team here. I better look up who was catching here last year to see if there is any hope five or so years down the line.

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Heck no, Hundley's not getting $24 million a year. It's $23.5 million over four years. So that's merely $36,000 per game. Assuming he plays every game.

Still too much for someone who can't hit, can't run, can't throw, and can't call pitches.

9. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Baseball is in a semi-bad time right now. I'm not saying there needs to be a salary cap, but something needs to be done. There is no chance for the little teams to make a comeback and/or a run for the title. Its all about money. If a rich owner comes along and buys a crappy team, and buys a bunch of players, theyll win (ie Marlins a few years back). But as long as a team is losing, no one is going to buy them, and no one is going to come to the games. Its a dead end for most.

Proof? The Yankees signed Jason Giambi. This is the last team on earth who needs a player like him. Theyre stacked already! Oh well, what can ya do?

10. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

11. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

I never understood the mentality behind playing somebody simply because he is signed to a big contract. You are going to have to pay him whether he plays or not, might as well put the best team on the field.

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    David,
    Maybe the owners feel he is a big enough name to fill more seats which in turn helps pay for the contract disaster.
    Brian,
    Like the post. I've got one for "what's wrong with college basketball"....
    Do you know what the graduation rate was for the Final Four Oklahoma team? 0%, That's right the big goose egg, Nada, Zilch, Donuts. [​IMG]
    Maryland?
    Somewhere in the twenty percent range? [​IMG]
    How are these boys going to survive if they miss the NBA?
    Lee

13. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

14. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

hundley is just biding time until machado takes over as starting catcher. he has a cannon for an arm.