Today's news programs causing burn-in?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thik Nongyow, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

With the amount of mostly static graphics and information on a news program like CNN Headlines News and Fox News, is there a great concern that such programs will bring an increase of burn-in on CRT sets? What about "bugs" that usually appear on the lower right of the TV screen, usually to identify the station which a program is in? Would there be a concern over burn-in?

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

the occaisional commercial pretty much fixes this problem as they don't have the channel logo....at least the ones i've seen

3. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Yes, there is a real concern for burn-in. Any stationary object on screen can cause it. You can minimize the chances by keeping your contrast at proper level. But this is one more reason to hate the damn BUGS!!

4. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
  5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, somebody just might do that, Charles!

Ever since September 11, 2001, the cable news programs have been running a continuous ticker across the bottom. They were originally intended to give continual updates of the latest events surrounding the terrorist attacks.

Now those tickers just offer the latest headlines--even as a full report of the same event may be running simultaneously.

Eventually, all this clutter and obnoxious in-program advertising and promotion is going to come to a head. Somewhere and sometime, people are going to get fed up with all this shit. It's a storm waiting to happen.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

7. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

I agree with you Jack that the ticker is becoming a nuisance in news stations like CNN and Headline News. Headlines News is the worst offender to where I rarely watch that channel. The screen is cluttered not with a ticker, but weather information and on-screen summaries of a televised news report. I used to like Headline News because it is more of a news network than CNN, but with the clutter, no longer.

Unrelated to the tickers, I am also annoyed that TV promos/local news anchors are appearing at the time when the ending credits of a movie or TV show appears. Usually the promos/anchors will appear on one half of the screen, while the compressed ending credits appear on the other half. There is a reason for the ending credits and I feel that reducing the ending credits just shows a disregard for the people who are responsible for the TV program or movie.

8. Walt Williams

Unfortunately my favorite local news station happened to be the worst offender in my area, they put a huge, bright logo in the corner that never goes away. I got more and more annoyed as time went on and finally e-mailed them with my gripe. Time passed and I realized they just don't care. OK fine, so I e-mailed them again and this time said I don't watch their station anymore because of it. Of course they all do it, but now I watch a station with a much less offensive bug - smaller and translucent (but still annoying.) If more people would switch to a different channel maybe they'd get the message. Oh yeah - I did the same thing to TNN.