What's new

today's music, a rant really (1 Viewer)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
So are all the Beatle people going to shoot me if I say what I generally think of when I hear them is the precursor to punk?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Led Zeppelin is pretty popular in my sons high school. My son got into Led Zep from me, but according to him, How the West Was Won turned a lot of his peers on to Zep.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
I don't "want" to believe that! I'm just curious. I don't know any 16 year olds, except some cousins, and they're girls and into Top 40. I'd sincerely like to know how a teenager discovers and learns to like "classic rock."

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I think classic rock is more oriented to teen boys. I had several younger cousins (boys) in the 90's who discovered Pink Floyd and Zeppelin. They also listened to 90's rock.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

There are still lots of classic rock stations on the radio. In my neighborhood (South Florida), there are TWO different stations that play a block of Led Zeppelin at 9 pm every night!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

This is rpetty much my story as well, finding classic rock in my teens, from grade 8 to 11 or so. What's wierd is bands I loved then (The Doors, Zep, Pink Floyd) I can't stand now. After discovering punk/garage rock and the simple joys of the 3 minute song, I can't get into the hippy/prog rock any more.

Still love The Who though, can't get enough of them. If I was too list the best English Invasion bands of the 60's it would be in the order of The Who, The Beatles, and than The Rolling Stones. with everyone else coming after them. For me, The Who had the more consistantly adventurous records, while maintaining their sound identitiy, and were untouchable in a live setting.

Of the bands today, I think this is best emulated bu "the White Stripes", where each record is a growth on the last one, while still remaining true to the core asthitic if the sound. Funny enough, White Stripes are one of the more popular rock bands with current fans.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

???

I've listened to the whole Beatles catalouge repeatedly, and if this is the best arguement for the Beatles being pre-cursers to punk, than I don't think this is going to be much of an argument.:D (Revolution would probably be a better selection, with huge guitar sound, screaming and politics. Closer to "the Clash", IMO, but still more rock of the times than punk. Pre-cursers to punk in this period I'd think where guys like The Stooges, MC5, etc.)

And this coming from a guy who made his friends listen to "Strawberry Fields Forever" on "Anthology 2" for Ringos' big beat hip-hop drum break that wouldn't sound out of place on a Run-DMC single.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The older I get, the more I love The Who. Townshend is one of a very few musical geniuses in the history of rock music.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I agree about the DIY stuff, simple isn't always better. I should probably clarify. I like a tight, well done song with no extra fat and I like a song where it sounds like a total commentment by the artist. The 10 minute improv guitar solo's and stuff found in prog rock, and most of Zep's and the Deads music is completly lost on me. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the skill and awareness it takes to pull off improv stuff, I just don't want to hear it. My interest in Jazz music wanes about mid 50's, when Be-Bop (Tightly constructed, hard beat Jazz) blended into Sonny Rollins improv (30minutes of noodling, trying to find a rhythm).

Again, I'm not slagging Zep, Their first records great, untill Dazed and Confused, which should be cut in half. I just watched the film "Festival Express" and was blown away at the skill the Dead performed bluegrass songs from "Working Mans Dead" and "American Beauty" in a live setting. Than the special features start and there are 2 10 minute blues jams that fall into Garcia dicking around on his guitar, and I'm bored.

Now, compared to todays music, I'll take the 15 minute Allan Parsons Project synth orgy (I'm sort of being condensending, sorry about that;)) over most of todays music, because it actually sounds finished to my ear. Most of todays music sounds like it's missing about 3 tracks of sound.

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
Haha, well a lot of my friends aren't into the top 40 stuff either, but they're into more modern rock. Actually I got into classic rock pretty much by working backwards. For awhile I was into 90s, then all of the 80s ACDC stuff, and then well classic rock.

Glad to add to the discussion
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks