What's new

today's music, a rant really (1 Viewer)

RobertW

Supporting Actor

oh c'mon. Maybe I'm Amazed, at the very least. and even Jet, Venus and Mars(Rock Show)and Band on the Run are pretty decent songs. probably better than Live and Let Die.

and i'm certainly no McCartney fan.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I've never liked Band On The Run. Can't recall the other 2, I really don't care for Paul McCartney. I'd personally take "Live And Let Die" over any McCartney I've heard (Pipes of Peace anyone?);)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Somneone asked about Without Face. . .Hungarian Goth Prog-Metal with male & female vocals. I believe there are sound clips on Amazon if that sounds like your bag.

Oh, and Yes has been around forever because they freakin' rule. :D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Great article... just in case some folks don't wish to register at the Times, here are some excerpts and the conclusion:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Yet it's comments like these that make it hard for me to participate in threads like this one. Your opinions, sir, are thankfully very much in the minority.

But I do like Rich Malloy's posts here.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
But sometimes it takes posts like those from Russel (and me :b ) to pull the likes of Rich and Arman.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My applogies if my slagging of post Revolver Beatles/Paul McCartney came off a little harsh, I was just trying to explain how taste factors into these things. And I do know I'm in the minority. I used to be a huge Lennon fan, but now my tastes have changed to the point that I find it hard to take most of his post Imagine work, save for the "Rock n Roll" period, which is still sort of annoying with the weird heavy handed drum sound that Spector put on all the 70's stuff I've heard that he produced. My McCartney theory comes from AFAIK, none of the other Beatles hung out and did stuff with Paul post Beatles, until after Lennon died, but I recall footage of Lennon/Harrison, Harrison/Ringo and Lennon/Ringo doing stuff in the studio. This lead me to my theory that Paul must be a real jerk to work with. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm by no means a Beatle expert. I just wanted to clarify so that people don't think I'm farting up the thread with no cause.

Back on topic: I too liked Rich Malloy post. A month or 2 ago in "Blender" (the greatest musical magazine in the world... KIDDING! They balmed the death of radio on Limp Biscut) had an artical on the death of radio, that very much echoed Rich's post, and concluded that Satelite radio is the wave of the future, with the more selct playlists (which it probably is, boy those Blender guys are awesome with their predictions!) This format change though, has the same effect as IPOD culture in putting the emphases on the single, and the "cred" that goes with it. Our culture is pretty stagnent, with non stop shows on VH1 and Much Music on the fabulous, bling bling, pimped out crib, car, riches lifestyles, that the music behind the culture is pretty far in the back seat. I suspect that the Pink Floyd fan in the 70's wasn't concerned with buying a Pink Floyd outfit, driving a car insired by a Pink Floyd video, and wearing a Musk cologne (Roger's Water?)sponsered by Pink Floyd befire hitting a club, but these things seem to be more important to the fans of J-lo and P-Diddy (? WTF is his name now??) than an actual quality song. the record companies know this, and pander to it.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I agree with that totally. While people complained that popular in the 80's was image over music, at least the music still mattered somewhat, people actually knew the words to Duran Duran and Culture Club's songs... now the music is the last thing people associate or care about with the likes of Hilary Duff or Ashlee Simpson.

I think this inflated era of celebrity that nobody really cares about (I don't know anyone who really cares that Lindsay Lohan is in the hospital... but the media has this obsession with her) needs to come to an abrupt end, where is a Kurt Cobain type when we need him? I'd take those last days before grunge where we had crap like MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and the Nelson twins over today, and that is a pretty low blow.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I've noticed throughout this thread that when anyone mentions "new good music" most of the bands/artists mentioned seem to have a alternative/modern slant to them. Of course that's my opinion. I reference Arman's post a while back. I can maybe recognize a handful of those artists. IMO most of those bands won't be around much after releasing a first major label album if they get discovered.

I look back to my high school years 87-90 and really getting into the hair bands and discovering all the underground bands around that signed with major labels. At that time we didn't have the internet and relied heavily on magazines that had news on new bands that were 1 - 2 months old by the time the magazine was published. Most of the bands such as Baton Rouge, Company of Wolves, Electric Boys didn't have much lasting power after thier first release and it was disappointing to get attach to these songs and bands and then really hear nothing from them because the times had changes circa 92 and all these bands disappeared.

I'm finding, with the help of the internet some of the members of these bands such as the lead singers are still out doing there thing and sounding great.

I would like to recommend some stuff that isn't alternative but stuff that rocks

Frameshift with Sebastian Bach
Frameshift with James Lebrie
Dreamtheater - Octivarium
Jon Oliva's Pain - tage mahal (formely of Savatage)
Alice Cooper - Dirty Diamonds
CircleIICircle - Middle of Nowhere
Buckcherry
Dio - Master of the Moon

I guess my reason for this post is to say that good music doesn't have to come from 'new' bands/artists which may only have appeal to a college crowd. Good music can still come from established artists, even ones we thought died of overdoes years ago. I hope this helps some you closet hair band lovers.

Paul

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Probably should mention that Zak Stevens, former lead singer for Savatage, is in the band.

I'll also mention Redemption, a new band which has Ray Alder, lead singer for Fates Warning. The new album kicks ass.

Jason

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I second the recommendation of Redemption (they're prog metal), although I haven't heard their new one yet.

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey not exactly sure if my voice in this discussion would be of any use, but I'm 16 and I like rap a lot. My two favorite genres are classic rock and old school rap. I hate top-40 type music and all of the rap in there, but I enjoy 90s rap by lesser known artists. I have seen few people here list rappers other than the "top-40" type, which makes me feel as if no one has truly explored the genre. I'm not sure if it's because I have been exposed to it all my life, or if it is just because it is more my-generation type music, but I do like to listen to it.

Erock

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Good for you, Eric!

(Although referring to the '90s as "old-school" makes me feel older than I should. . . :frowning: )

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I, like many here can't stand today's top 40 rap.

However, I really enjoy the mid - late 80's stuff (anything before the MC Hammer/Vanilla Ice era of 1990) and actually have quite a collection of CD's from that era. It was inventive, original and said something. Today's is just corporate crap.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

actually, classic rock isn't as alien to teens as you'd want to believe. I was a teenager in the early 90's and remember a lot of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd fans my age

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks