What's new

today's music, a rant really (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I think FM radio may be the greatest culprit as to why you can't find music you like. Where it once was just a tiny bit adventurous in its programming -- at least compared to today -- now it serves as nothing more than a filter to distill out an extremely limited playlist of songs with appeal to the lowest common denominator. I don't doubt that there's great music on the air -- I know that Gorillaz and Kanye and OutKast and the White Stripes and other groups I like very much are quite radio popular -- but I think it's also true that crap like Jessica Simpson, Black-Eyed Peas, and whoever is the latest melisma-crazy R&B diva are the ones who dominate FM radio. You know, along with the dinosaurs.

So where do I hear new music? Damned if I know. It gets to me, eventually (long after those crazy hepcats). How did I ever come across good music? I mean, I participate in the culture. I read. I go to clubs. I hear stuff in record stores (real records stores, not the strip-mall equivalent of FM radio). I use allmusicguide to trace connections from artists I like to similar ones I've never heard of. I participate in music-related forums. I don't exactly know... it's floating out there in the ether and eventually it floats by me. I'm just keeping my ears and mind open.

And I could give you my own list of contemporary suggestions (which actually has a good bit of crossover with Arman's list... great list, Arman!), but I'm not sure that's either here or there. It seems to me that there's so much more music of such great diversity today -- far more than ever -- or at least so much more that's readily available to one who knows where to look. Many new artists are subverting the usual distribution chain and finding an audience directly. The hip-hop underground borrowed a page from the jam-bands and began producing grey market "mix tapes" featuring the newest/latest without having to deal with the record companies. There's a new reality emerging, it seems to me, and even as the record companies are doing their worst to cram the file-sharing genie back into the bottle, their stranglehold on what music you get to hear is loosening all the time. Who knows what the evolution will be, but it seems to me we're living in an exciting time for new music.

But I keep coming back to this thought: that it's the very limited selection of music that FM radio plays that makes it seem as though nothing interesting is going on. But that couldn't be further from the truth. All of which reminds me of an eye-opening book I read last year by the film critic, Jonathan Rosenbaum: "Movie Wars: How Hollywood and the Media Conspire to Limit What Films We Can See" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...lance&n=283155 It strikes me that many of the arguments he makes regarding distribution of cinema (lack thereof) apply with even greater force to the music industry (a business that's easily sicker and more cynical than Hollywood ever was, exploiting artists and the public alike and utterly without conscience). But there are options. This forum is a great example. It's here that I first learned how to hack a DVD player so that I could play all-region/all-format DVDs, and its here that I discovered where to buy these DVDs. Now, I get to seem films in my home sometimes years before they get any distribution to theaters near me (if ever). Subverting the usual distribution process has allowed me to see an enormous number of extraordinarily diverse films.

I know I've gone off on my own tangent to a great extent here. Your point may be nothing more than "I like the way the Beatles harmonize, and I don't care for the flow of Jay-Z. So, let's have more music like the Beatles". That's a more specific question of taste, and I wouldn't know what to tell you except that Macca's got a new album out and it isn't entirely a pale reflection of his past glory. But if your point is more along the lines of "I want some new music that's exciting and daring and better than the crap I hear on the radio", then I would say be assured that it's out there. More options than ever. Even a few small outposts that haven't been greatly influenced by hip-hop.

As for the aversion to hip-hop that I hear in this thread, that's another issue. It's unfortunate, however, inasmuch as the most compelling pop music of the last ten years has been hip-hop or it's many variations and cross-overs with the equally multi-valent varieties of house music. I have no idea why this notion that "rap isn't music" has taken hold among those who should know better, who should easily hear that Andre Benjamin possesses a vocal dexterity and prowess that Ozzy Osbourne never had on his very best night -- and I happen to think that early Black Sabbath w/Ozzy is brilliant stuff and Ronnie Dio's operatic abilities only made their music boring. We're talking aesthetics here, but if anyone here is hewing to some unexamined notion that the ability to "sing" in the traditional manner = musicianship = artistic merit, then I suspect you'll be trading in your Dylan and Ozzy for some Kathie Lee Gifford and Perry Como.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I'll go ahead and say it's easier now to find great music than before. Back when I was a young pup, I'd read Rolling Stone or go to the record store and try to figure out what I'd probably like, based on who was in the group, who produced it - hell, even the cover art. The adventurous radio stations were few and far between. Buying music back then was more of a gut instinct-driven sport.

Now? Now you have sound samples of any song you want to hear. You have a gazillion online music websites and discussion groups (including this one). You have $.99 songs that can give you a more informed idea of whether you'll like this band or that singer.

I think the real reason behind complaints that new music stinks is that when some people say they like "classic rock," they mean that literally - new groups, and new variations on old themes, need not apply. I'm not pointing fingers, but if you have taste that calcified in 1983, then all the new music in the world, which is by nature "new," won't make you happy. The alternative is a retro approach (e.g., The Darkness), which is a pretty narrow, shallow vein to mine.

I have a huge CD collection (and before that a huge vinyl collection) and I love what I have. But to me, in some respects, hell is what I've heard before. If I thought that I'd never find new, exciting music to listen to, I'd give up.

And you know, you can always go the other way - I've spent most of the last few years digging deeper and deeper into old blues and R&B - stuff around before I was born. There's a whole amazing world out there, whether you look forward or back.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Rich, I only copied the first few words of your post but read the rest carefully. I would never say there isn't good music out there if you're willing to put in the time and effort to find it. It looks to me that you do. Unfortunately, I guess I'm not willing to. I need it to come to me (I know: my bad). But with all the different ways for music to be heard, and all the new stuff that's out there as a result, the search can be overwhelming. That's why I eventually revert back to the safety of FM classic rock. While it may seem to stifle creativity and selection to some, it serves as a useful filter to me. Instant and total gratification if you will. I'm just not willing to sift thru all that hay to find a few needles. I know that sounds narrow-minded but...More choices are a good thing. To a point. Then it becomes overwhelming to the point of frustration. On a brighter note, I found Porcupine Tree, The Flamimg Lipps and many others on HTF members recommendations. And the HD channel "Rave" introduced me to Dream Theater, Robbie Williams and even Cindy Lauper! (not new but new to me). Go figure. So maybe there's hope for me yet. So, to get back to the big picture, it used to be music was more segregated. You had your rock stations, your R and B your country and maybe your pop. Easy to find what you want. Today it's more like a melting pot. This gives the impression quality isn't what it used to be. But there's still good stuff out there. You just have to look harder to find it. If you're willing.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

ahhh Paul here....

I've heard this statement a lot within the last 5 years and I just don't get it. To it me it seems that the music listener these days can't sit down and enjoy an entire album from an artist. People seem to be 'single' driven. Maybe its just me, but when I purchase a CD from an artist, be it a band or a solo artist, I look at all those songs as a time capsule of what they were thinking about, possibly going through as an artist (that would mean they had to write the stuff themselves), a personal history of themselves, the time they lived through. Writing a song comes one at a time but putting 10 songs together on one disc, if you truely listen to each, they all compliment each other.

This is one reason I don't like soundtracks or complilation albums. I don't care to to buy an album with BJ Thomas and then the Bay City Rollers following up.

Granted I listen to a lot of satellite radio, 60s, 70s, 80s stuff, but when I listen to a cd I want to hear all what the artist intended me to hear, not just the $.99 download from itunes.

Paul

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Where in the darkest corner of your brain did you pull those two from? But who am I to criticize? After all, I did use "Doo-Whop" didn't I? :b O.K. who's next?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My theory on the state of modern music : A testament to taste.

I beleive that the current trend of music is the equevalent of the period of pop music in 59-63. In those years, pre-Beatles, Rock 'n' Roll became some what legitamized, and the pop single ruled the charts, with producers like Phil spector putting out 3 minute masterpieces of sound. In the 90's, metal turned to grunge, got way to serious and slumped into what I think is called emo-metal, something I cannot bring myself to listen to. Rap got lawsuited and legitamized into hip-hop, and like how Rock blended into pop, we now have catchy little bubble gum songs on the radio under the hip-hop/rap banner. I see songs like "My Humps" to be very similar to stuff like "Sugar Sugar" in the 60's. I would say that Britany Spears is the current master of this form of Bubble Gum pop, while "My Humps" is possibly the worst example of how low this trend can stoop (I have some how managed to resist all urges to hear "Laffy Taffy" so this may be updated.) MP3's and IPODS have created the single market all over again, and clearly labels are pushingthe single. Now, I prefer the bubble gum stuff in the 60's to the current slate for one reason:

Current hip-hop / mainstream pop music does not sound finished to me. Rap in the 80's was full of stolen samples, often used to create soundscapes that competed with Spectors own wall of sound. That was interesting to me, both sonically and as a trivial thing, trying to figure out where those sounds came from. After the lawsuites, hip hop producers lost the ability to sample the shit out of music, and as a result, most (not all) current hip hop sounds like it was created on a $50 casio with a drum machine set to foxtrot. This is mostly boring to me.

The other thing with rap and hip hop is, the rappers started to believe their own boasting, and now rely on shooting each other to gain legitamcy. This is easily the most retarded trend I have ever seen, and has ruined gangster rap to me. Interestingly, the best rap record I've bought in 2-3 years is Tom Greens current one.

There is good music still being made, I'm pretty big on Nine Inch Nails, White Stripes, Bjork, Radiohead, and Weezer. I'm also pretty big on honest music, where you know the artist is doing what they have to do, not what they are contriving to make money on, like Fiona Apple, Aimee Mann, and (well, sort of now) Liz Phair.

If my analogy is correct, we should be on the cusp of the next Beatles, so maybe the next half of the decade well bring forth more music that many of you seem to be looking for.:)

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
That's a reasonable analogy.

But consider that the same year that "Sugar Sugar" was a #1 song, 1969, the following also hit #1:

Come Together - The Beatles
Everyday People - Sly & The Family Stone
Get Back - The Beatles
Honky Tonk Women - The Rolling Stones
I Can't Get Next to You - The Temptations

We live in impoverished times.

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator

How true this is! Those are some great songs!

Guess what song is number one today?

And the answer is: Don’t Forget About Us by Mariah Carey

I have never even heard this song but I do know that I don't like Mariah Carey. She doesn't even come close to any artists on the list above.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
I have, what with the kids and all. Personally, I think it's crap.

It's hard to believe a time existed when these songs could be #1:

Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley
Stagger Lee - Lloyd Price
Save the Last Dance for Me - The Drifters
Running Scared - Roy Orbison
Grazing in the Grass - Hugh Masekela
Hello, I Love You - The Doors
Family Affair - Sly & The Family Stone
Just My Imagination - The Temptations
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
Fame - David Bowie
Rock'n Me - The Steve Miller Band
Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2) - Pink Floyd
Coming Up - Paul McCartney
(Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon

I mean... Jethro Tull's A PASSION PLAY was a #1 album in 1973!

Holy GUACAMOLE, but have the times ever a-changed!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Okay, I'm not defending Mariah Carey in anyway, but there are alot of questionable songs on this list, many of which I think are equal in their time to what we have now, proving that taste is a very subjective thing (my opinions in brackets, coming from someone 31 years old who hates the hippy part of the 60's and all that it bred in our popular culture and music in the 70's.)

Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley (daring song for the time, never get on the radio today)

Stagger Lee - Lloyd Price (equal to novelty songs today)
Save the Last Dance for Me - The Drifters (see above)

Running Scared - Roy Orbison (great song. Would never make the radio today.)

Grazing in the Grass - Hugh Masekela (never heard of it)

Hello, I Love You - The Doors (crappy Doors, over rated, but catchy, like Sisqo's "The Thong Song")

Family Affair - Sly & The Family Stone (Good, but not as good as their previous material)

Just My Imagination - The Temptations (a ballad that wouldn't sound out of place today, if relesed in rough demo form to fit in with the unfinished sound of todays music.)

Superstition - Stevie Wonder (good typical pop ballad, but more peppy. Why don't people make peppy music anymore?)

Fame - David Bowie (Lesser Bowie, but a poppy fun song, like "My Humps".)

Rock'n Me - The Steve Miller Band (this guy has never put out a good song, this is one of his worse. his lyrics are easily as retarded as most of the hip hop today, so not surprising, he was popular. The only worse offender is David Wilcox, "Bearcat" makes me want to kill.)

Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2) - Pink Floyd (an awful song, more of a chant really. Works okay as a thematic element on the album, but as a single, it's shit. Comfortably Numb is much better off this album, "The Wall" being as over rated as any other concept record out there.)

Coming Up - Paul McCartney (Has very few good post Beatles songs, this isn't one of them. ACtually only has one great post Beatles song: "Live and let die", which Guns & Roses did better.)

(Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon (Awful song, Lennon never reached the heights his legend makes out he does, post Beatles, and I actually consider myself a fan.)

Come Together - The Beatles (I like very few post "Revolver" Beatles material, this isn't one of them.)

Everyday People - Sly & The Family Stone (Great Song, but similar to the poppy sounds of the time, that equals what we have now, just better produced.)

Get Back - The Beatles (More crappy Beatles, why wasn't "Across The Universe" #1?)

Honky Tonk Women - The Rolling Stones (Good Stuff, would probably be considered legitament Counry Music now though, the way country music now sounds like hair metal power ballads.)

I Can't Get Next to You - The Temptations (Again, standard pop fair, similar to what we have now, just more pleaseing because it sounds like a finished song to me.)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You probably have, if it's the one I'm thinking of, from the 60's. Grazing in the grass is a gas...baby can you feel it? Sing it to yourself...really fast. But have a bucket handy. Just kidding.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Is this really a line from the song? If it is, it sounds like this is closer to "My Humps" than the other I mentioned.

RG

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I found a sample of this song on amazon. 40 seconds was enough to tell me that this song is terrible, and that audiences in the past had no idea of what quality music is. this also explains how a band like YES is still around.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes is one of my favorites. The Yes album, Close To The Edge and Going For The One helped ween me off AM radio. I don't like all of their stuff, but those three in particular will always be heavily played by me.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Wait a cotton pickin' minute! 40 seconds. Is that all it takes for you to dump on an entire generation? I don't think you're that good, and we weren't that bad. :)

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
I'm with you, Gene! We have to answer for Mac Davis and Barry Manilow.

But at least we can offer up Black Sabbath...!:D

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

you don't have to be such a devil's advocate on the matter. Even if YOU personally don't like those songs, a lot of people still do. Maybe you don't like post-Revolver Beatles, but still... you honestly think Jennifer Lopez or Lil Bow Wow deserve hitting #1 more than "Come Together" or "Get Back"? I don't even consider myself a fan of Lennon, but I love Starting Over, it was a perfect pop song IMO and would've hit #1 regardless if he lived or died (since it was the single he had out at the time of his murder). I only like a few Steve Miller Band songs, but still.... 50 Cent has made better songs than Fly Like An Eagle or The Joker? I don't think so IMO.

Fame is IMO one of Bowie's weakest songs, but I understood and agreed with the point the guy was making.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks