What's new

Today is the "Great American Meatout"... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
And what do you think of the mountain lion? In a mountain lion's world deer exist just for the benefit of the lion.
This is stretching it a bit far don't you think? A mountain lion does not farm deer in vast numbers solely for the purpose of gorging on them later, or to build material wealth by raising and slaughtering them. They do not stuff themselves with five deer at a time. Natural predators cull the weak of the species. They do have a place in nature.They also rely on their instinct to teach them what to eat.

Humans are supposed to be more intelligent creatures, capable of making decisions about how to treat the world around us, one of which could be to cease eating meat, and needlessly causing the suffering of living creatures. But we don't, because human nature is to serve one's self interests, regardless of the effect it has on others.

I am not a vegetarian, but respect those who have made that choice. I am too self centered to give up foods I have grown accustomed to enjoying, just as I would prefer to buy cheap shoes made by slave children in China over a more expensive union made pair made domestically so I could save a few bucks. I don't have the stomach to go out and kill my own food, and prefer to remain ignorant about the living conditions it is subjected to so I can eat it. I don't think it necessary to argue why I eat meat, chop down trees or delight in the misfortune of others when it is to my material benefit. I do it because I'm human, because I can.

Oh yeah, that was sarcasm by the way.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
human nature is to serve one's self interests
Quite right, and rightly so. So does the mountain lion. To think that when it hunts for deer that it is doing ANYTHING other than acting PURELY in its self interest is silly. This is hardly evil.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Julie, wild game certainly is more healthy to eat, better tasting? Not necessarily.... I don't hunt but my brother does and he gives me deer from time to time. It's lean. I marinate it in either milk or red wine to lessen it's gamey taste. It's not as tender as fat-ladden commercial meats. He hardly ever gives me any of the ducks he shoots, damn! They are good with lots of dark meat and none of the globs of yellow fat that's on all commercial poultry these days.
I fish for trout and walleyes which are delicious. I eat shrimp and salmon too. Certain family members are always trying to push red meat on me. Often times, I eat a few bites and give my dog the rest, sometimes stealthfully :) !
Commercial meat producers don't produce a good product anymore. There's room for some debate here. The pros and cons of giving livestock hormones and antibiotics is a whole 'nother thread. What is true is that our bodies only need very small potions of meat, way, way less than what we typcally eat.
Dennis,I could care less if fish or game feel pain! They have the right to be eaten as far as I'm concerned. I stille giggle everytime I remember the day PETA protested fishing by having somebody wear a fish costume and stand at the entrance to the Smokey Mountains National Park. I've given alot of fish alot of pain :rolleyes:and really enjoyed doing so! What I eat is totally a health matter, animals and fish only have limited rights. That's the natural order of things desite PETA's wishing otherwise. Why not plant's rights? ;) Really....! Best wishes!

DennisHP

Second Unit
Finaly someone, Todd B in this case, points to some links that have some scientific data for the case of being a vegetarian. While the ADA states it's case for such a diet, it is also careful to point out that some animal products and supplemental vitamins may be helpful in maintaining heath while on such a diet. Todd's second reference from The Northeast Regional Food Center says "Vegetarians are usually more concerned with their health and tend to smoke less, drink less, exercise more, maintain proper weight, and are better educated than their non-vegetarian peers. This has been mentioned before in this thread several times with reference to a sensible diet thet INCLUDES red meat as well. The third reference is basically stating the same things as the other two; being a vegetarian can be a healthy alternative from a diet that includes eating red meat.

Interestingly enough, no where in any of these articles does anyone bring up animal rights as a reason to become vegetarian/vegan; as has been the case in many other related sites I've looked at recently. Therefore, I conclude for myself, that the issues here for some of the folks involved in this thread who are FOR vegetarianism, seems to be animal rights first and health reasons second. That is not a bad thing except it makes it appear that some people hide behind vegetarianism as a method to push their beliefs in animal rights. Not too big a leap to suggest most PETA members probably started as vegetarians.

PS.. Rachel B, I'd guess your brother is not handing you the choicest cuts of his hunting successes. The best cuts are coveted by hunters and therefore do not generally get passed out. To each their own when it comes to taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks