Today is the "Great American Meatout"...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Owen, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

... so I had myself a big honkin' steak for dinner to show my "support" for the cause. [​IMG]
    Maybe I'm a bad person, but for some reason when someone tells me "no, don't do that", I just makes me want to run out a do it just to spite them.
    [​IMG]
    No offense to vegans of course... we're all free to do our own thing. I just thought the idea of an organized meatout day was kinda funny.
    -Steve

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Glad I had a Big Mac for lunch today [​IMG]
    If it's bad to eat animals, then how come they're made of meat?

3. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
  4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Whoa whoa! I don't think I'd want to visit that museum's IMAX, I'm very content with my real size, honestly! I think this was intentional:

5. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

6. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Heh heh. I was pretty bad. Sonny's BBQ has a Wed. night "Family meal", consisting of pork, chicken and beef. I had fish for lunch.
    Not that I would have changed my choices had I known anyway. [​IMG]

7. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

I'm sorry to report that I dropped the ball for the meatout and enjoyed some rather nice veal cutlets tonight.

8. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

AAAARRG, if I had paid attention and known it was the day of the meat out, I would have had a steak instead of pizza, at least it had sausage on it[​IMG]

9. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I had talapia last night, but definitely not in support.

Sorry guys.

10. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I haven't eaten any meat in over 10 years! [​IMG]
    Three of my meat-loving friends/relatives have had heart attacks within the last year. One had quintuple bypass just last week. Ironically they didn't seem as smug about eating meat as they usually do when I visited them in the hospital.
    The "meatout" day is simply an effort to educate and to create awareness. Many people are not aware of the global and personal health issues involved, others don't care. For those that do, here are a few good reasons to consider a meat-free diet, courtesy of John Robbins' book Diet for a New America:
    Human population of the United States: 243 million
    Number of humans who could be fed by grain and soybeans eaten by U.S. livestock: 1.3 billion
    How frequently a child dies of starvation: Every 2 seconds
    Number of children that starve to death every day: 40,000
    Number of people who will starve to death this year: 60 million
    Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on one acre of land: 20,000
    Pounds of beef that can be produced on one acre of land: 165
    Number of animals killed for meat per hour in the U.S.: 500,000
    User of more than half of all water used for all purposes in the United States: Livestock production
    Quantity of water used in the production of the average cow: sufficient to Float a destroyer
    Water needed to produce one pound of wheat: 25 gallons
    Water needed to produce one pound of meat: 25,000 gallons
    Cost of common hamburger if water used by meat industry was not subsidized by U.S. taxpayers: $35 per pound
    Production of excrement by total U.S. human population: 12,000 pounds per second
    Production of excrement by U.S. livestock: 250,000 pounds per second
    Sewage systems in U.S. cities: Common
    Sewage systems in U.S. feedlots: None
    Relative concentration of feedlot wastes compared to raw domestic sewage: 10 to several hundred times more highly concentrated
    Where feedlot waste often ends up: In our water
    Cost to render an animal unconscious prior to slaughter with captive-bolt pistol so that process is done humanely: One cent
    Reason given by meat industry for not utilizing captive-bolt pistol: Too expensive
    Risk of death from heart attack by average American man: 50%
    Risk of death from heart attack by average American pure vegetarian man: 4%
    Hollywood celebrity paid by Meat Board to tout beef as "real food for real people": James Garner
    Medical event experienced by James Garner in April 1988: Quintuple coronary artery bypass surgery
    Some people have heard the myth that a vegetarian diet is not healthy.
    Athlete who most dominated Olympic sport in track and field history: Edwin Moses (undefeated for eight years in the 400-meter hurdles)
    Food choices of Edwin Moses: Vegetarian
    Only man to win Ironman Triathalon more than twice: Dave Scott (6-time winner)
    Food choices of Dave Scott: Vegetarian
    World record holder for 24-hour triathalon: Sixto Linares
    Food choices of Sixto Linares: Vegetarian
    Here is a list of some other notable vegetarian athletes.
    Stan Price World record - bench press
    Roert Sweetgall World's premier ultra-distance walker
    Paavo Nurmi 20 world records in distance running, nine Olympic medals
    Bill Pickering World record - swimming the English Channel
    Muray Rose World records - 400 and 1500 meter freestyle swimming
    Pierreo Verot World record - downhill endurance skiing
    Estelle Gray and Cheryl Marek World record - cross-country tandem cycling
    Ridgely Abele Winner - eight national championships in karate, including U.S. Karate Association World Championships
    Enjoy, and good luck!

11. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Hmmm...i think I want BBQ for lunch...

12. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Typically the animals parts we eat are dead (and cooked) when we eat them. This is not always the case with vegetables. I actually heard some broccoli scream when I bit into it! Because of this I ate two venison steaks and skipped the screaming.

I skipped the smokes after dinner and exercised too so I would not end up like JohnSt's friends.

13. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Well I wish I would have known about this yesterday. All I had as far as meat goes was some pepporini pizza and some turkey for dinner. But I made up for it today. I just ate a foot long meatball sub. Mmm, mmm, good.

Frankly I see my place in the food chain as an important one. If we didn't eat all the cows, what would we do with them? They'd be roaming the countryside causing all sorts of havoc. What a horrible thought. Also, why live a long life if you aren't going to enjoy it?

14. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Sounds like "Going Commando" day.

15. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Excellent points JohnSt!!! Being a vegan, I obviously took part in yesterdays festivities. I find it staggering how little respect most folks here at HTF have for the lives of animals. For those of you that eat meat and make fun of vegetarians/vegans, I look forward to watching my HT for a long time after you all die of cancer, heart disease, etc.[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Mmmmm... so many kittens, so few recipes!
    What I dont understand about vegetarians who don't eat meat because of the "horrible inhumanity" of it, is, are plants not living creatures as well?
    How do you know that a plant doesn't have feelings? That it doesn't feel pain? Come on already...
    I love the episode of the Simpson's where Lisa becomes involved with the tree-huggers... she's talking to the head of the organization, and he says "I'm a level 5 Vegan... I don't eat anything that casts a shadow." [​IMG]
    As for us horrible, inhumane "meat-eaters," while we are "dying" of heart attacks and cancer, the vegans will be "dying" due to the lack of proteins and amino acids that plant-life alone just cannot provide their bodies...

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I enjoyed a nice hearty Double-Double from In-n-Out Burger yesterday to show my support.
    To add, I've have yet to meet or know a healty veggie.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Vegetables are what food eats. [​IMG]
    Regards,

19. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Jackson and John..here is the thing as I see it:

The majority of Americans enjoy one form of meat or another...usually MANY others. All my life I was aware some people were vegitarians...and that was fine. The issue comes from extreme groups and their agenda and being a backlash against their tactics and such.

I would never berate you or anyone for their choice in diets. BOTH my wives were experimenting with macro-biotics..my first wife to try to save her life. I make a GREAT pressure cooked rice with seaweed dinner! HOWEVER...I don't want Bambi or Elsie the Cow hammered in my face either. You won't find me bombing hydroponic gardens in revenge for my Big Mac costing me more...as some packing plants, research labs and furriers have been.

PLEASE eat and live how you feel most comfortable, safe, and healthy. Know you won't see me throw that in your face. By the same token, know that I enjoy a certain lifestyle and if it clogs my arteries..so be it. After all they ARE mine!

20. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I'm a meat eater that owns an SUV !!!! The inhumanity of it all....

And what's up with "vegans" that eat fish ? Like fish die a "humane" death ?

To each his own.... burger toppings.