What's new

Toby Keith - Honky Tonk University (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
First off, I have never owned any Tk cds nor do I consider my self a red neck but I picked up this cd and I am quite pleased with it and find my self listening to it a lot. Really, this country music today is nothing more than pop with a lil steel guitar and twang, a lot of rock! IMHO

Anyone else...? :emoji_thumbsup:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm working on a lease deal with Toby. He's in the market for some prime, cave space in Afghanistan with a view. ;)

TomCW

Second Unit
I asked the record dept droid at Wal*Mart why they only had THREE HUNDRED Toby Keith CD's in the rack. He said they didn't want to run out.
Then I did.

Tom

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I love your kooky humor Rachael, but let's not tar TK entirely with the brushes of that arguably reactionary single that brought him so much attention, the Peter Jennings spat and more record sales than he'd ever had before.

Todd, long before "The Ugly American," TK was a good balladeer whose intonation, singing strength and songwriting have improved since his 1993 debut Boomtown (featuring the outstanding single "Who's That Man"). At the very least, if you like what you're hearing I'd check out at least one pre-DreamWorks album (when he was on Mercury Records) such as Blue Moon and then maybe Vol. 2 of his greatest hits.

If you're into hi rez, there's also an SA-CD of Shock'n Ya'll.

-p

Craig W

Second Unit
TK is a prime example of the cancer on country music today. All f&cking image and no g@d damn talent. I sure would like to destory every CD that Kenny Chesney recorded.

You want real country music go see Hank III(and stick around for his Hellbilly portion of the show) or Dale"That's country, My Ass"Watson. Those guys are ones keeping the real country alive. Hank III basically told his label to f*ck off when they wanted him to record that pansy-ass shit for country radio.

Give me some Waylon, Cash, Coe and all three of the Williams boys for the true sorrow and pain of the music.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Craig, there are a lot of "country" artists emblematic of the "cancer" of which you speak. IMO TK is not one of them. And for you to say that someone who has written the lion's share of his own material as TK has "no . . . damn talent" just makes you sound like one of the zealots Alan Jackson and George Strait lampooned in "Murder On Music Row."

What country artists who released their first record in the last 20 years do you like?

-p

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I don't disagree that TK or KC or 99% of the artists today sold as Country have more POP than COUNTRY in their act, but I have to say, thats what sells, there is no more real country, IMHO, its this. Like it or, not, this is what it has become. If it weren't, I don't think a lot of tickets/records would gotten sold, I believe they call that marketing. I have been to a Twain, Chesney and Mcgraw concert in the last year. All of the shows are supercharged pop like productions! Not sure if I would have done so if it were still all real country. I tell my wife all the time, its not country, its pop w/steel guitar, which most of it is. But, whatever it is, it still causes me and a lot of other to buy their product. IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks