Tobe Hooper's Toolbox Murders

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Doug:Li, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Doug:Li

Doug:Li Stunt Coordinator

I got to see this movie at the Philadelphia film fest. I have to admit I had very low expectations for it. It is a remake of a low budget exploitation flick from the late 70's of the same name. The orginal I suppose is a ripoff of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. So i suppose it is ironic that Tobe has gone from being ripped off to remaking the ripoff.

In essence the story is a slasher flick , then turns toward the supernatural. A young couple move into an old apartment building in the midst of renovations. People start getting murdered, and slowly this fiend starts to become more than what you expect. Its a well made genre movie. There are some good moments of gore f/x. It is well lit and shot and the acting is very good, Angela Bettis (MAY) is the lead. There are some genuine scares/jolts. I was very pleased with the outcome of this movie, I expected crap, and got much better than that. Sure the movie has its flaws; some things were left unexplained, particularly the motivation for the killer and what the occult symbols really meant. But I hope that this represents a new way for Tobe to go. His next project is with the same writing team. Maybe this will start an age of new classics from Tobe.

If you like horror/slasher/supernatural, give this a shot. It might be out in theaters by the end of the summer. Tobe said they have a few offers on the table for distribution.
    Check out the UK website:

http://www.toolboxmurders.co.uk/html/Synop.htm

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I dug it too.

3.5 out of 5 stars

Fun old-school slasher stuff.

3. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I'm looking forward to this one.

From Scott's review:
    " And if we are indeed in the midst of a Horror Movie Renaissance (as I'd contend we are, thank you very much)"

I have to agree. I hear a lot of people proclaiming the Death of Horror, but damn, I think we've been getting some real treats lately.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm with Julie and Scott 100% on this one. I know there are some detractors of recent horror films (Tino [​IMG]), but I'm loving most of what gets released.

I'm going to have to rent the original Toolbox Murders before I check out the new one.

5. Scott Weinberg

Better yet...don't. [​IMG]

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

That bad, huh?

...damn, that's the second time I've had to ask you that question in 2 days [​IMG]

7. Scott Weinberg

Ask me once more and you'll be tied with your MOM!

Bizang!

[​IMG]

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Bastard!

[​IMG]

9. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Contrary to what Matt thinks ([​IMG]), there are only TWO recent "horror" films that I hated. May and Cabin Fever.

I was very disappointed with the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but it had some redeeming qualities, unlike the two films above. I loved the new Dawn Of The Dead.

Horror is alive and well and always will be.

I watched Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce recently, a guilty pleasure that I love, and was wondering what he was up to. Nice to know he's still working.[​IMG]

10. Robert Todd

Robert Todd Agent

Lifeforce is a truly unique take on the vampire mythos and I love it too. It's also interesting to see Patrick Stewart in such a bizarre role.