Tobe Hooper to direct "Return of the Living Dead" sequels

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Michael Allred, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    FANGORIA has learned that Tobe Hooper is in talks to direct two back-to-back RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD sequels for the film series' producer, Tom Fox. Ironically, Hooper had once been attached to helm the original ROTLD in 1985, before screenwriter Dan O'Bannon stepped in.

ROTLD 4 & 5 are expected to shoot this summer, with both sequels featuring scripts by the writing team of William Butler and Aaron Strongoni. "The first one, subtitled RAVE FROM THE GRAVE, is a lot like the original, with the comedy," Butler tells Fango. "It's a collegiate setting, like ANIMAL HOUSE but with horror. The story of part four will go right into part five, but the sequels will also be standalones. Part five is being called BATTALION, and it's our BAND OF BROTHERS with zombies.

"We're writing these films as fans," Butler adds. "I'm having so much fun! They are the zombie movies that I grew up with. We really pay homage to the first [RETURN] film, and we want to get many of the original cast back for cameos, especially Thom Mathews and James Karen." Optic Nerve's John Vulich, who handled the walking stiffs on the NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD remake (in which Butler co-starred), will tackle FX chores on both ROTLD follow-ups.

Butler, whose early-'90s horror acting credits also include
    LEATHERFACE and GHOULIES II, has been developing ROTLD sequels with Fox for the last few years. One rejected screenplay has even been spun off into a separate zombie project called NECROPOLIS.

2. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Woo! Maybe we can get a Lifeforce 2 from Tobe if these are sucessful[​IMG].

But seriously, Rave From the Grave?!?

3. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

Direct-to-video or theatrical?

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Knowing how most non-mainstream and/or different horror films are received today, it'll probably be direct to video. I'm only guessing though. It's still great that Tobe Hooper is directing though, because he can bring alot to the movies.

5. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I spoke with Dan O'Bannon today and we discussed these sequels. Dan knew of the projects and has offered producer Tom Fox his services as an actor(!) Dan felt that fans would be interestedin seeing the creator of ROTLD involved in some capacity but that Fox might not be interested. I will attempt to call Mr. Fox about this and mention a few things to him.

6. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

I've never really been excited about a 4th Return film, but sience the news of Rave From The Grave, and Battalion, I've been more intriged. It would deffinatly be fun to have O'Bannon in there. And I'm also curious as to if it'll be either DTV or Theatrical. I'd hope theatrical, but sience it's "back-to-back horror sequels", it seems DTV is more likely.

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

What the people who are making these movies seem to have forgotten is that what made the original so beloved wasn't the comedy aspect on its own, but the fact that the comedic and horrific elements blended so seamlessly. One minute you were laughing your ass off and the next minute were genuinely uncomfortable. The original was a once-in-a-lifetime classic. The movie shouldn't have been as good as it ended up being. Best $10 I ever spent on a disc.