to zoom or not to zoom

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Darren McGruther, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Darren McGruther

Darren McGruther Stunt Coordinator

I'm setting up a friends theater and just had one question. what would give better picture quality, postion the PJ far enough back so that I don't have to use the zoom or bring it forward and use the zoom? PJ is an Infocus 4805 and a 100" screen.No zoom makes more sence to me, but I want everyone elses thoughts.

2. Harold Southard

Harold Southard Stunt Coordinator

To zoom or not to zoom, that is the question.
    A projector by any other name would look as sweet.

Ok I could not help it.

I don't have a front projector, but I have worked with them and I work with video. If it is optical zoom, you should see little, if any diff. If I had could not zoom, thats what I would do. If it is not optical zoom, never ever ever do that!

3. Chris Stock

Chris Stock Extra

RE picture quality, its a case of lumens and optics.

The optics used in a projector greatly determine the amount of distortion a lens exhibits in projecting an image. Therefore, what you need to do is project an image displaying a grid pattern and see if you can make out any pin cushioning or barrel distortion towards the outer edges of the screen.

As for as lumen output is concern, the more narrow the cone of light (zoomed to max), the better (more focused) the light cone, therefore improved light performance. But, there is always a magic spot with each projector in terms of distance from the screen and the amount of zoom you can do.

For instance, if you had (such as I do), a Panasonic AE700, you could position the projector 20 feet from the screen and have the unit zoomed to the max. But, light intensity demishes over distance, so you should try the medium distance (more zoomed though, say 1.7 times).

Does that answer you question?