To XP or not XP, that is the question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Burk, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

May 31, 1999
    Jonathan Burk
    I've got an
    • AMD TB 1.0Ghz,
    • 256mb RAM,
    • 60gig HD,
    • 16mb Voodoo 3 3000.
    • Windows 98 SE
    I use it mostly for:
    • Email (Outlook Express)
    • Websurfing (IE 5)
    • Starcraft
    • Counterstrike
    • Office 2000 stuff
    • CD Burning (Nero 5.5)
    • Digital photos, and maintaining a personal website (Front Page)
    • dabble in Visual Basic 6 programming
    • dabble in MIDI, audio editing and sound design (Sound Forge, Reason, Acid mostly)
    I don't have any problems with stability or speed. In fact, I'm really happy with my system right now. So why would I want to upgrade? I'm happy with Nero and the Digital Photo software I have, as well as Razorlame and Winamp for MP3's, so I don't care about that being built into the OS.
    And I don't like the registration code thing.
  2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Feb 27, 2001
    The stability increase alone is worth the upgrade price, everything else is just icing.
  3. Craig Chatterton

Craig Chatterton Stunt Coordinator

Apr 18, 1999
    I agree about the Product Activation. It's the single reason why I didn't upgrade to XP. Check out this article:
    Instead I went to Windows 2000. Excellent Stability, and compatible with 95% of Windows 98 programs. I haven't run into an application yet I couldn't run. And if you have Windows 98, you can a Win2000 upgrade disc for about $100.
    Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.