What's new

To warranty, or not warranty? (1 Viewer)

oharag

Grip
I just bought a RPTV from Circuitcity. I was talked into purchasing the 4 year service plan. Seemed reasonible at $399. Got it on my charge card which is interest free for 12 months. Now I'm wondering if I should have purchased this warranty. I figured that it was such a large (and fairly expensive) TV that more things could go wrong it. This warranty covers all parts and labor, and is in house service. It even covers the remote if it were to ever go bad. If the TV set peters out in the next four years I get full replacement cost.

I'm a firm believer that if it doesn't peter out in the first year it'll probably last a fairly long time without incident. One poster stated that when a warranty costs 20 to 30% of the purchase price it isn't worth it. I would like to keep the TV for awhile (8 to 10 years). Though once the 4 year service contract ends I'll probably not continue additional warranty.

oharag

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Once a TV is five years old there will probably been at least two "generations" of improved technology. And once your TV is bouht and paid for, if it dies, you'll probably want the newer set anyway.:)

Planned upgraditis.. Its a wonderful thing.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

Are you sure? For Best Buy warranties, it's they'll repair it for the first three major repairs it requires, then they'll replace it if it requires a fourth. And replacement isn't instantaneous either...

In my opinion, the $400 can be better spent on an excellent DVD player (You can get a Denon DVD-1200 with DVD-Audio for $200+shipping from ecost), or on DVDs for your collection.

And like Garrett alluded to, there are lots of changes coming up in the TV market...new technologies continue to come out and be adopted by more firms, driving prices down...for that reason, I bought a conventional CRT to hold me over until everything with HD settles.

Oh, additionally...the $400 could also cover a professional calibration (such as one that Gregg Loewen can provide)...that would be a better performance investment than would be one of these "Performance Service Plans" (in Best Buy terms)...at least then you get some tangible benefits...

Chris Homer

Agent
Sorry to pirate this thread, but is the Tweeter warranty any different than the BB or CC? Was looking at a Sony KP51WS510 and the guy mentioned their extended warranty for $350 and stated it included a yearly visit for adjusting and cleaning, even including any convergence issues.

Is this worth it? Prices are the same for the TV at all the stores, $1699.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks