What's new

To WARNER. Please release Kenneth Brannagh's Hamlet. (1 Viewer)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
It is long overdue. And while you are at it, how about starting your very own Special Deluxe Edition Line of DVD's like Fox did with the Five Star Collection.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Hopefully if it comes out, it will be done right. I know people hate to see releases go over to a second disc, but if ever there was a need for one, this 4 hour and 2 minute movie is one!! I'm considering acquiring the box set laser disc of Ebay because I don't think we will ever see this one on DVD.
--adrian
------------------
1.hokiebird.stands.jpg

Adrian Jones

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
So, this is a Warner title, eh? Hmmmmmmmmm....
I would definitely buy a copy if it is released.
There would be nothing at all wrong with splitting it to 2 discs, since the original theatrical exhibition had an Intermission after about 2.5 hours. The second part could go on disc 2 and there would still be room for some extras.
A beautiful film which was nonsensically criticized for what I consider trivial points at the time of it's release. Brilliant performances all around, including Branagh, Jacobi, Christie, Winslet and even Crystal!
I'm there on the first day of release! :)
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Sandra

Agent
/i had my vote with both hands. Don't have a laser player so I've no choice but to wait for the DVD.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Correct. It was a Columbia title, however Warner now ownes the rights to it. I also never understood why such a faithful adaptation of the original play was not more well recieved.
In reality though, I think that people were just scared off by the films 4 hour run time. Too bad because this is a great film. Great acting by many MANY hollywood notables, Beautiful cinematography and sets, and costumes, and art direction ...AND at times an Ear-Splittingly powerful SDDS mix.
Warner, you simply MUST give this film the super deluxe treatment.
C'mon people ...now is our chance to ask Warner to finally release this title.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have wanted to see this rendition of Hamlet for a long time. I have not as I didn't catch it theatrically (I'm not even sure it was avaible here) and I don't ever want to see it panned and scanned.
I would buy Kenneth Brannagh's Hamlet on DVD in a heartbeat.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I'd buy the long version in 5.1.
Doyle's score ain't bad.
thanks.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Adrian_P

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see the full length version of Hamlet be released on DVD! This is by far one of my favorite Shakespeare film adaptions.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Looks like we will have to wait until October 2 to ask Warner about this.
Hopefully more people will add to this thread and support this title.
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on July 15, 2001 at 05:51 AM]

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I saw this in its theatrical release on a Saturday afternoon. What a great way to spend four hours. (I even left the theater for a burger next door during the intermission.)
Let's see it on dvd. I almost bought the LD when it was new, but held off because of the $60 price. That release has been panned enough that I'm glad I avoided it. Did I mention, IT'S ABOUT TIME FOR THE DVD?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I missed this in its theatrical release, and have wanted to see it ever since. I would buy a DVD without hesitation.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 38 to go!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
This amazing movie deserves the deluxe treatment. It must be presented in widescreen, and hopefully, have a commentary by Kenneth Branagh. I think his choices for the visual look of the film were pure genius! Most of the Shakespere adaptions are in dark and dank castles, but he decided to shoot it in wide open spots, and brightly lit. Amazing.
Long overdue on DVD.
------------------
"I've been all around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding."

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
It also has to be stated that this was one of the last films shot in 70mm. The version I saw in the theater was only 35mm, and the title came up as "HAMLE". Hell, it wasn't even widescreen on VHS until last year! Unforgivable! There must be some legal crap floating around on this one, what with Castle Rock's ownership bouncing around. I'm willing to bet there's a personal grudge involved with it. I want this one so bad I can taste it.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I'll support this title too. I'd also like to see the Zeffirelli/Gibson version, who owns that? Warner also?
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

rhett

Supporting Actor
This is the definitive Hamlet film, and it deserves SE treatment all the way. It was a labour of love for Brannagh, and I know he would be more than willing to participate in creating supplemental material. As far as the video goes, this film could definitely qualify as demo material if done right. It was one of the last films filmed in beautiful 70mm, and thus should get its respect on DVD. This is one of my most wanted titles, and I really hope Columbia steps up and release this DVD.
------------------
"Why don't we just wait here for a while...see what happens."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks