To Warner Bros. re: Kung Fu DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ken Wilson, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Ken Wilson

Ken Wilson Agent

There are a couple of threads, from Dec. 1993 and Herb Kane's new review of Kung Fu Season One, on the "HT/TV shows on DVD" forum, regarding this new release.
    It's a 4:3 TV show that has been released on to DVD in a "Modified Aspect Ratio" for widescreen TVs, and that's creating a lot of controversy and complaints. (They chopped-off top and bottom to make it look like a 1.78:1 widescreen aspect ratio!)
    If anyone from Warners is reading this (or cares) they ought to check it out. HTF members generally don't want ANY tv show or movie on DVD that has had its picture hacked-up and mutilated.
    This MAR decision has apparently been made to cater to the complaints of dummies who just bought a widescreen TV but won't want black bars at the sides! Arrgghh!!! We just can't win!!

2. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

Yes please fix this release. This was a horrible decision that this great series does not deserve.

Jeff

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Someone mentioned on DVDTalk that the DVD's are correct with how the producers/directors wanted for DVD.

4. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

I couldn't find that in a forum search. Let me know what the URL is, if you know where it is.

However, I read the DVDTalk review, if that is what you refer to, and the reviewer stated:

"one wonders if Warners spent time reconfiguring the image to get it to fit as well as it does (and whether the original producers / DPs / directors were consulted)."

&

"One suspects Warner's decision to release Kung Fu this way is to gauge consumer reaction with a low-profile catalog title. Though more successful than this reviewer would have guessed, it can't be condoned, either."

Jeff

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I for one did not buy this because it was MAR. If it ever gets released OAR, then I'll buy it. The logic of chopping of the top & bottom to eliminate black bars on people with widescreen sets is just as ludicrous as pan & scan (actually moreso, since it's absolutely unnecessary in this day and age), and a horrible decision. Apparently it's due to 'research', but I have to wonder if this is the same market research that led CC to think DIVX was a great idea?

6. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I too missed out on a dvd presentation of my favorite TV show as a child. All because of aspect ratio. I stand by and commend George in the suffering. No OAR/ No Sale. I'm really starting to object to the recent backpeddling on this issue by some of the membership.

"Incorrectly Hard-Matted" is how dvdaficionado list it. I call it another form of PAR- Partial Aspect Ratio. Hasn't Full Screen haunted us long enough? Now this? I'm getting f..ked from both sides of the screen now

7. John Leaning

John Leaning Agent

Actually, I would like to thank Warners for making this decision on cropping the DVD release.

With the ever increasing pressure on my disposable income, I was happy to not have this on my list of DVDs to buy.

Of course, if it ever gets released properly, then I'll be in trouble.