To upgrade? Thoughts comparing SVS ISD and NSD subwoofer units?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dan Lindley, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Hi all,

many threads mention the NSD tangentially or to celebrate the announcement, but I haven't seen much in terms of specific comparisons, measurements, bang for buck evaluations for those contemplating upgrading from an ISD to the NSD.

FWIW, Ron just said this in an email (I had mentioned not seeing too many comparisons online, here or other usual suspects):

"Not that many people have probably tried the NSD and ISD subs side by
    side. It's quite an improvement, but only if you tend to push your sub
    hard. It will have quite a bit more power overall but in the mid/high
    bass in particular. It's a more advanced design that essentially keeps
    the sound quality you are used to, but adds more overall headroom
    (power)."

What does this imply for the flatness of the FR, etc? Could go either way, I don't know, but I'm hoping for insights.

I have a 16-46 PCI, if that matters for anyone's comments.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks, Dan

2. Geoff Gunnell

Geoff Gunnell Stunt Coordinator

Dan, I'm sure you are aware the 16-46 has the lowest SPL (except deep down, of course) of any of the SVS cylinders -- that means it has the most to gain from the higher output of the new drivers, as it is the one most likely to be 'turned up'. It's probably the best around $100 you could spend upgrading your bass IMO

3. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

Dan;
    You'll likely start seeing some of these comparison results once the NSDs roll out in full force to most of the customers that chose to upgrade, w/in the next month or two. The only downside to waiting until then is they may/will likely increase the price by then.

I'd agree with Geoff, the 16-46 PCi will likely benefit the most from this upgrade and considering the cost, you'll likely find it well worth it. The (hopefully) additional SPL is the one reason I considered the upgrade for my 20-39. I wasn't even aware of the mid/high bass SPL improvement until the e-mail you quoted from Ron above, which makes me even more glad I ordered the upgrade when I did! [​IMG] -TD

4. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Hi all, keep twisting my arm. Only a couple of days before the price increase. Interesting that at the 16-46PCI page, the current FR curve does begin to dip at around 70hz and is down by about 2.5hz at 100 hz. Is that mid-high bass?

Now this might not affect things too much, but it does imply that the improvement will flatten the curve out beyond 70hz, which would boost things for and movies and tunes around that range, even with an 80hz xover setting. Hey, am I twisting my own arm? Stop, don't stop....

Heck, I'm sure I'll go for the upgrade, but it would still be fun to get folks' reactions.

Dan

PS: I'm assuming that the FR curve is for the older ISD driver, as the NSD driver is at the top, but the driver pic below is still of the old one (so it seems to me, anyway), which implies that they probably haven't update the FR curve either: https://svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pcpow1.cfm#curve

5. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

Dan,

I think you've overlooked another major advantage of ordering the upgrade driver.

Pick up something like the 300 watt BASH amp from Parts Express for $150 and build a second "16-46" for around $300 by the time you get the Sonotube, ports, etc. All you really need is a router with a circle jig and a cordless drill.

6. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Hi Brent,

you mean I'd have to get new tools, too!! The siren song is becoming deafening. Seriously tho, I know nothing about DIY subs, and wouldn't even know the parts list to order (tho I did see the BASH amp you were referring to -- sweet!). Of course, the research would be lots of fun to figure it all out. I hope your post inspires some to post a parts list.

A second factor is: would a DIY 16-46 harm or help the sound of the upgraded one? When I got the orig 16-46, TV of SVS suggested my older AR sub would likely muddy the sound if added onto the 16-46. Just curious; it's an excellent idea!

Dan

7. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Guys,

Just FYI, the first Plus and NSD upgrade kits go out today. By COB today, or before I start reaching for a bottle and drinking heavily (six sets of replacement instructions will do that to you ;^)... prices will finally be going up.

Then again my hangover might prevent it from happening till Sunday. But for SURE by Monday, the "pre-order" prices on these woofers are history. You've been warned. Many times more folks ordered these are "loss leader" prices than we expected, and we can't hold them any longer.

Ron
    SVS

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Darn my settlement not getting here sooner!

9. Geoff Gunnell

Geoff Gunnell Stunt Coordinator

That's what credit cards are for [​IMG]

Seriously, even at full price it's still the best $129 + shipping you can spend to improve your bass IMO

10. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit