To those with wives / girlfriends...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Handy, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Hi all,
    I was thinking last night about the extremely lopsided gender demographic of console gaming. Not so much was I worried about games catering more and more to men (just look at DOA3's commercial - "she kicks high"), I am more wondering how all you guys out there managed to convince your wives to support your gaming habit.
    Background for me. I am a newlywed (July 2001), and my wife just conceded the Dreamcast for 50 clams. She hates the new consoles, mostly because the new 3D games are too hard for her to visualize and some of them have a lot of frivolous CGI. She hearkens back to the days of the NES and Atari 2600 (which, by the way, is a real trip to play on the Tosh 50H81 [​IMG])
    Now, I read all these posts on other threads about you guys having all the consoles with 50 games for each one. My simple question: what did you all do to convince your wives about this? How do you balance time together with your wives while leaving ample time to play all these games?
    Finally - how many hours would you say you spend playing video games each week? Personally, I am spending more now that I have a console [​IMG], but I would say that 10-15 hours a week is about right.
    Jason
    P.S. Lets keep this thread clean, OK. I am not in the mood to hear Morgan's over-the-top opinions; please post them in the fanboy thread where they belong. Thank you and have a nice day. [​IMG]

2. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I went out shopping with my wife this weekend since she needs a dress for an upcoming Xmas party. She tried on a few dresses and ended up looking fantastic in the one that she ended up choosing, after that I remarked that she should get some high heel shoes to match the dress and off we went...
    To make a long story short..., after she had picked up everything she needed we passed by a kiosk at E.B. and I started watching a couple of kids playing HALO. She asked me if I had made up my mind between the Xbox or the Cube and I said that I would eventually pick up the Xbox since my sister picked up the Cube for my Nephews and I could always borrow it to play games like Perfect Dark or R.E.
    She said "Well..., why don't you pick it up while we're here?"
    The rest is history... [​IMG]

3. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Good topic! For myself, I would say my wife has kind of resigned herself to my videogaming hobby over the years. She used to actually watch me play and "coach" me when she thought I made a wrong move...Final Fantasy VII was a good game for that because it had such a good story and lots of cool cinematics. She also watched a lot of Super Mario 64. But so far she hasn't really cottoned to the Xbox, I think she puts up with it, but she hasn't really gotten into Halo or Gotham or any of the other games I've played. She rolls her eyes and grumbles a lot when I talk about it, but overall she's been pretty tolerant of my latest obsession!
    It's always a tricky thing, finding time to play without having her feel neglected, but I usually find some time after she goes to bed on weekends. As to your question, I would say I am averaging only about 6 or 7 hours a week right now, but some weeks it goes way up if she goes shopping with her mother or something on a Saturday afternoon. [​IMG]
    I guess I'm just lucky she's a good sport about it. And about the 58" HDTV, the three DVD players, the SVS subs, the movie posters, the dedicated theater room, the Dish 6000...hmmm...I think I better go home tonight with some flowers or something...[​IMG]

4. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Yeah, the tactic I have been using lately is to go out shopping with my wife and buy something for her so she is basking in something fashion-oriented. Then going over to Babbages is a snap.
    As far as playing goes, I get most of my kicks after she goes to bed, but that means I sacrifice sleep for my habit. Oh the sacrifices [​IMG].
    What I really want to do though, is find something she enjoys playing. Sonic Adventure was too busy, I am hoping Rayman 2 is not so fast. She thinks Skies of Arcadia is a bit too repetitive, but I am hoping that she gets her kicks with Virtua Tennis or one of the racing games, so we can play together.
    BTW, Dave what the heck do you do for a living? Your system sounds incredible! And, are you hiring? [​IMG]

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My girlfriend not only supports my video game and home theater habbit, she also takes part in it! We're both movie and video game buffs. We often play games together, either by multiplayer, taking turns, or offering advice. She bought me a gamecube for Christmas, which is sitting under the tree, just out of my reach [​IMG]

6. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I usually buy the gamers guide to the game I'm playing and give it to my wife so that she can watch me play while contributing to the game by telling me tips out of the guide. She likes watching the games like Silent Hill, but currently its Halo ( the better the story the more she enjoys watching ).

Dean

7. Jeff St

Jeff St Auditioning

EXCELLENT!!! Keep those women happy. For those of you who know "When a women is happy, EVEYONE is happy" Game time to most women is time wasted. They just don't understand alot of the technology and our NEED!!! to play games. To those of you who have women you play your games with... man you guys got it good. Keep stroking the women guys, they will purrr for you and then you can get on with the games.

8. Dave Falasco

Hee hee, thanks, Jason! Actually I am a lowly software tester at the Nasdaq stock market. With the way the market is now, I doubt we'll be hiring anytime soon, but for a fellow HTF'er I'd be happy to pull all the strings I can (which is no strings, sadly). [​IMG]
    As for all my HT goodies...well...credit is a wonderful thing. Just ask the good folks at Tweeter! [​IMG] I'm just very fortunate to have a wife who is as into home theater as I am, and who doesn't mind us not squandering our money on things like heat and groceries.

9. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Sears loves Amy and I. We BOTH have Sears charge cards, and we split up the 50H81 purchase across both. I firmly believe that our entertainment budget is supporting the economy [​IMG]
    Jas

10. Dave Falasco

See, THAT'S the angle you have to play! [​IMG] "Honey, I would like to buy the {insert gaming console of your choice here} not for me, but to support the economy of the greatest country in the world! Sure, Halo (or Rogue Leader) would be fun to play, but it's not about that. It's about putting food on the table of the good people of this country (and the Mexicans and Hungarians, too). Our country has done so much for us, and it's time to give something back. Don't think of me as a gaming enthusiast...no, think of me as...(pause dramatically)...a patriot! God bless us, God bless the U.S., and God bless (insert Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo here)!!" (It will also help if you can enlist a buddy to hum the Star-Spangled Banner in the background as you deliver this moving speech.)
    I'm telling you, if you can play the "it would be un-American NOT to buy a new gaming console this year" card right, you are so in. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Dave,
    You are a sick man, but I like that, y'know? Maybe we should put a theme song together and make a video. Perhaps we can get John Williams to write the score. "The {insert gaming console company here} March", with big crashing cymbals (sp?) and haunting chants. We will see our fearless heroes battling through the Dark Lord of the Economy, credit cards in hand, willing to make that ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom.
    Or, we could just whine about it and promise diamonds to our respective spice (read - plural of spouse). Oh, and flowers too. [​IMG]
    Jason

12. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

Maybe my relationship is just different than everyone elses. But I do what I like. And my girlfriend (of 6 years) doesn't get a say in the matter. When we get married, I will do what I like with my things (Cars, Home Theater) and she can do what she wants (Curtains, etc.) LOL! That reads about as sexist as it sounds.
    It's true [​IMG]
    PS-We are the happiest couple I know. I can't remember the last time she had to sit around whilst I played video games (3 years ago maybe? Damn you Baldur's Gaaaaaaaaaaaate. Daaaaaaamnnnnnnn You!!!!!!)

13. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Jason, it's obvious you should have bought a Gamecube instead of an XBOX, since the Cube is geared more towards children, and women love children, blah blah blah... [​IMG]

14. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

DOUBLE POST [​IMG]

15. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Don't say the "c" word - I still want more big boy toys [​IMG]

16. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

If you can survive 2 hours of sleep less/night, you can feed your gaming habit. Just play when she's asleep. She'll never know the difference.

17. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, my girlfriend is into the whole HT thing, since we like watching movies together. As for the games though... There are the times when she'll sith and watch (can't get her playing though-I've tried), but there are some where she'll just get bored (especially if things get repetitive). Sometimes though, it's great to have a "coach" to go through with. Played through the last half of Escape from Monkey island with her (Monkey Kombat!), and she was interested in the ff 9 story as I went through.

As for how to afford this stuff (and on a grad student's budget no less)? Very carefully....

18. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

My girlfriend of 5 years is great about it!

I just make sure to balance out my gaming time, and time with her. Most times when she gives me a hard time, she's just ribbing me, but when I can tell she's serious about it, I'll immediatly do something special for her.

She's really gotten into my HT obsession, and has come to enjoy it too. Plus she likes to read, and does so while I play games.

The key is to not be snotty about it. She is ALWAYS more important than any game. if you are right in the middle of the game, and she looks to you for some honest attention, for Christ sakes, put that controller down, or in time you will find yourself alone, and you will have all the game time you need. But you better learn to play one-handed, if you catch my drift...

19. Frank_Lee

Frank_Lee Agent

Seems like I'm one of the few people that has had a bad experience. I pretty much buy my girlfriend anything she wants so she was understanding about me buying a PS2 last year at launch time. She likes to play videogames on occasion but she's not really a gamer, per se. The problems started when she made an effort to play games with me, which I appreciated at the time. However, I forgot that my gf is a notoriously bad loser. We were playing Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore, which probably wasn't the best choice but was the only game I had at the time. Naturally since I've logged a lot of hours on it at the arcade, I won most of the time even though I was taking it extremely easy on her and was trying to teach her the controls. She was a good sport about it for about 15 minutes. Then it became rather frightening; I could see her nostrils flaring and her eyes narrowing. I knew right then and there I had to start losing, which I did. This made her even more mad because she figured out what I was doing. I got a Dual Shock 2 thrown at my head, she stormed into the bedroom, and I ended up taking her out to an expensive Japanese hibachi style restaurant to "apologize" for my behavior. Needless to say, we never played video games together again.

20. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

My wife LOVES to play video games (and watch widescreen-only dvds). Sometimes she hogs my HT by playing a game to no end! To top it off, she actually gets excited about games, sometimes more than I do. Her last ventures including re-playing the entire Shenmue game and taking turns playing MGS 2 with me. She also loves the last two Final Fantasy games and even played FF8 all the way through... twice! We also love to play Perfect Dark together and half the time she kicks my ass. She is looking forward to getting another Perfect Dark game on Gamecube.
    My point is that she really got into gaming when her and I started dating. I never had to convince her how fun it is, she delved into it as soon as she saw me play. She is also a big fan of the Tomb Raider and Resident Evil game series.
    This is only ONE of the reasons why I love her.