What's new

to those who still have Dreamcast..Online News (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
I dunno if this has already been posted, but I dont remember ever seeing it. I was over at the official Dreamcast website (http://www.sega.com/games/dreamcast/...reamcast.jhtml) and I saw an interesting blurb of news, Online related:
As of August 1, 2002, we are ending our Dreamcast subscription service and opening up SegaNet servers to all online gamers. Dreamcast users will be able to enjoy free unlimited head-to-head online gameplay on SegaNet through the end of 2002. At that time, Sega will shift focus to supporting new online titles for other platforms, and servers for Sega-published Dreamcast games may close down.
This is interesting. I just hope that the huge fanbase of Dreamcast owners figure out a way to keep dreamcast online (Gamespy tunnel software etc). Ive found sites that give tutorials on installing Linux on a dreamcase unit etc, so Im sure that its not to difficult.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Nope, PSOv2 is still pay to play. That is the big exception to the above announcement.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to play AFO the other night, but got the 'server temporarily down' error message (as in 'we could'nt find the fricking server'). If anyone has been able to connect to the AOF servers, let us know.

I don't think there will be much the fanbase can do to keep the DC online community alive. Most of us just use the built-in modem and, unless we setup a special purpose ISP, it won't be possible to redirect those packets to user maintained servers. I wish they would allow for changing the server IP address in AOF and provide the client software for free (or a small cost). I really like that game, as brainless as it is.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
PSO V2 - can you use the BB adapter for it? I'm getting ready to network my living room and wouldn't mind trying this out online.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

Yes, you can. You can't access the web page, but as long as the BBA has been set up for other DC games, it will also work for PSOv2. (I can't remember if v2 has the BBA config screens or not)

-Dave

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

Anyone have a guess as to what they mean by supporting other platforms? Does that just mean that Sega will be making online titles for X Box & or PS2 or could it perhaps have something to do with redirecting those Dreamcast servers to other platforms?

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Sweet. How does that work as I've never taken advantage of the online capability. I've got a few games (PSO, NFL2k1, MLB 2k2) Can you play the sports games online over Seganet?

Added: I tried logging on but it tells me that I need a subscription ($9.95/mo). What gives? (This is with NFL 2k1)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
Carl:
SEGA NFL 2k3 already has built-in support for the PS2 Online network adapter. Im assuming that their other sports games will also support it, in addition to support for Xbox Live once that is live and working.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
? Does that just mean that Sega will be making online titles for X Box & or PS2 or could it perhaps have something to do with redirecting those Dreamcast servers to other platforms?
Yes, Sega are making online games for XBox & PS2. I presume they're planning on "redirecting" the servers for supporting the upcoming PS2 & GC games.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I got online finally. However, no one was playing NFL 2K1, so I tried MLB 2K2. I started playing against someone and there was so much lag it wasn't funny. I kept swinging behind the ball and my players would always delay going to the ball. Not fun at all. :frowning:

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I used to play Dreamcast online way back in the dot com days when it was compatible with freei.net but I never even considered paying for the service thanks to the lag and dropped connections. Hopefully when X Box goes online it will deliver all of the fun without the technical hiccups.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Carl, I never had a problem. Could it be that because you were using a free ISP that you had problems because of the cut-rate equipment?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The baseball game has always been horrid online (and offline imho). Even if you can adjust to the massive lag, you always get disconnected.

As far as the free ISPs of the time, It was my finding that they where often actually better than Seganet. But lag and disconnection was still always a big of a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks