To those who have destroyed a sub before:

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DustinDT, Oct 24, 2003.

1. DustinDT

DustinDT Agent

How were you able to get past the feeling that it was about to happen again at any time while watching a movie?

I ruined my AV-15 by bottoming it out due to too much power and an improperly designed enclosure. I have henceforth made enclosure modifications and cut the available power in half, but I still cant watch a movie without my finger on the receiver power button ready to kill the whole system as soon as I hear that dreadful noise.

It doesen't help that the AV-15 moves so violently making all of that delicious bass, I just wish I could relax and enjoy it without worrying.

Any suggestions?

D

2. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Dustin,

email me at [email protected] regarding this matter if you get a chance.

John

3. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Hi Dustin,

It's a scary feeling...I know. I didn't blow my sub but blew 3 of 5 of my HT speakers. I was getting a little outta hand with Metallica and with all the high end garbage on the CD and my old amp clipping it toasted my tweeters.

Anyway, have you properly calibrated the sub? Do you have the proper wattage going to it now? You said you cut it in half...are you at the recommended wattage for your alignment? Do you have a rumble filter to prevent unloading?

These things will help ensure a safe sub [​IMG]

Darren

4. DustinDT

DustinDT Agent

Darren,

Yes
    Yes
    and I believe that I do but its unadjustable at 8hz and my enclosure is tuned to 19hz so I guess yes, but not an effective one.

John helped me out with redesigning my enclosure after the initial disaster and it seems to have definitely helped in power handling and output.

I watched the entire Titan AE movie last night at reference levels and the sub never bottomed out.
    I guess that over time I will build confidence in my (poor)workmanship and be able to enjoy the movies. I may end up having to build a sister sub so I can assure myself that I'm not driving mine beyond its limits.... besides I have a free amp channel now ; ).

5. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I'm sure you work ain't all that bad [​IMG] Since John is helping you out I'm sure your sub will be just fine. You just gotta get over the phobia... didn't take long before I started cranking Metallica again. After a couple weeks you'll be invincible and the house will be shaking.