To those who frequent Cedar Point-recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I was thinking about another trip down to Cedar Point, since my fiancee has never been and we're both big roller coaster fans. We're thinking about going down over the July 1st long weekend (which if I'm not mistaken is the weekend BEFORE the US long weekend), but I'm wondering what the crowds might be like at that point. I went 2 years ago on the May long weekend and it was pretty packed. We were about 40-60 mins average per ride, with 2 hours for Millennium Force. We're thiking about doing Sunday/Monday (rather than Saturday/Sunday) as well, since we'll probably make out better with lines on those days. Anyone who live in the area or who goes often have any thoughts?

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Any weekend at Cedar Point will cause you to experience long lines waiting for rides or food. Your best bet is going on a Tuesday or Wednesday. If you go anytime around the July 4th holiday, expect long lines. Now that school is out, even mid-week days will be busy. Also, pack a cooler with your own food and drink. It can save time and money.

We gave up trying Cedar Point on the weekends several years ago. I didn't feel like driving 4+ hours round trip and spending that much money to stand in line all day long.

3. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I was just at Cedar Point last week for their Coastermania!

The Sunday I think will be pretty busy, but the Monday shouldn't be bad. Millennium Force (and the new Wicked Twister, if its open) now has a "fast pass" process where you go early in the day and you get your hand stamped with a time to return and skip the main line. The "standby" line was about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and we rode in 10-15 minutes!

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I'm planning a weekend trip to C.P. but not until after Labor Day when the crowds really drop off.

5. Chris Bardon

Hmm, some food for thought. I really don't like this "fast pass" idea. If you want to ride, wait in the line and then go on the ride. This just complicates things a little too much.

I've heard from people that if you're waiting more than 15 minutes for anything then it's too long-is this true? I used to be up to Canada's Wonderland a LOT when I was younder and had a season pass, and even mid week we'd have to wait 30-45 mins for the good stuff (maybe 15 if we were lucky and happened to hit a slow spot).

6. Tom_Mack

I can understand if you don't like the fastpass idea, but just keep in mind if you don't get in line for MF or WTwister the second they open you will have about a 2 hour wait without the head of line pass. Protesting the fast pass idea by not using it is just going to get you into a line that others are bypassing!
    If you just enter lines that are less than 15 minutes at Cedar Point in the summer you will probably just be riding Jr_Gemini all day! [​IMG] At Cedar Point for the big rides, you just have to deal with > 15 minute lines!

7. Chris Bardon

Yeah, I figured that. I think we were about an hour for Raptor, Mantis, Magnum, and Mean Streak, and about 15-20 mins for all the others (except MF which had about 2 hours). Sounds to be about average actually.

As much as I don't like the idea, I'll use the fastpass thing for MF-just think that standing in line to stand in line is a little strange.

8. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Fast pass is the best thing to ever happen to amusement parks. It makes it 10x more enjoyable, in my experience. I'm sorry, I can deal with a 10-15 minute line, or even 30 minutes. But 45 minutes? And hour? 2.5 hrs? That just ruins the day.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I'm curious how seating for this "fast pass" system works. Since there are still the same number of seats per trip, and still the same number of trips, do they take a certain percentage of "fast pass" riders and the remaining percentage of "general admission" riders on each trip, or do they reserve some trips for the "fast pass" riders?

This system would seem to make the wait in the general admission line even longer.

10. Chris Bardon

Scott, I think that's the point that people are making-that if you're not in the fast pass line, then you're wadting your time.

Kind of curious how long you have to wait for the fast pass though...

Anyhow, we're heading up next weekend, so I'll post when we get back and let you know how it works.

11. Tom_Mack

I waited 2 minutes for the fast pass. The line is always short unless it is first thing in the morning (and if you are there first thing in the morning, you should just get in line anyway). The fast passes usually are gone early in the afternoon.

The way the fast pass works in cedar point is that there are two line (the fast pass and the standby line) which meet up about 200 feet from the entrance to the ride. The fast pass users just join the line at that point then wait out the 200 feet with everyone else.

12. David Benkert

David Benkert Stunt Coordinator

Dumb question - does fast pass cost anything?

Here at Great America you can buy a Fast Lane for $10 for 4 rides, but you can go whenever.

13. Michael St. Clair

14. Tom_Mack

No the head of the line pass at Cedar Point is free unlike the money sucking six flags.

15. Chris Bardon

Actually, just thought of something-how do they control how the lines merge? I can see there being problems if they left it up to "honesty".

16. Tom_Mack

There is an employee at the beginning of the line to check for the handstamp. This employee sends you into the special line. At the end of this line is the merge and another employee. This employee stamps you hand with another stamp to "cancel" the head of line pass and stops the standby line to let you in.

17. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

2 hours for MF. That's nothing. We were there in early June of the year it opened, on a Tuesday. We heard rumors of 4+ hour waits. We were spending 2 days there so we rushed into line first thing the next morning. Was still a 2 hour wait. Their food prices are outrageous. We left CP feeling used, abused and ripped off. It'll be a looong time before I ever go back.

Just my ranting 0.02.

-Dave

18. Tom_Mack

I always felt that Cedar Points food was much better priced and better quality than other parks. They even have a all you can eat buffet for $10! Thats much better than you can get at most parks. I feel that way about Great Adventure food - overpriced and bad quality. But I feel that Cedar Points food, staff, rides and overall quality are much above the average amusement park.

19. Chris Bardon

Apparently the week before we went last time (which was the first weekend for the ride) there was a 7 hour wait. 2 hrs isn't bad by comparisson.

Actually, my one complaint about CP is that it's a real pain in the ass if you have anything you want to carry around with you. At Canada's wonderland, they'll let you drop bags, backpacks etc by the ride exit when you get on (just on the other side of the train usually). A lot of the time there's even a set of cubbyholes that keeps things out of the way. There's always a sign saying that they're not responsible for lost or stolen items, but in the 60 or so times I've been there, I've never had anything taken. CP didn't have anything like this though. Usually I want to be able to carry a couple of drinks, a jacket, and sometimes a towel or change of clothes (if water rides are a plan) and CP just isn't very condusive to doing so.

20. Tom_Mack

Cedar Point is has very odd rules about carry-ons. It varies from ride to ride. Many rides at CP allow you to put your carry ons into a large box on the exit side of the ride. These rides include Mantis and Raptor. Magnum and Gemini allowed carry ons, but you had to take them on the ride with you. Millennium Force does not allow any carry ons into the line, but this is due to the fact that you enter and exit the ride in two different areas. But I have no problem with the Millennium Force rule because the seperate loading and unloading zones speeds up the loading process by a great deal. I'll deal with having to pay $.50 for a locker if they can speed up a long line!