What's new

To those who dwell in medium and large cities: feeling nervous> (1 Viewer)

Brian_J

Second Unit
I'm much more concerned that I might get in a fatal car wreck, or be the object of an armed robber than I am of being in a terrorist attack. Give me a break.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Give me a break.
They say you can't choose who you love, and I think the same applies to fear. If we could choose what we were afraid of, wouldn't we all be fearless?
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/007822.html
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12, 11, 10 9 to go!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am generally very relaxed about this kind of stuff, but I became a parent six month ago and I will admit I would feel a little better if my daughter lived elsewhere.
As for me... they will have to drag me out of here. I love this city so much I am having a hard time even imagining living elsewhere.
--
Holadem - I will probably have to tho, there aren't many opportunities for Digital design / Semiconductors...

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I agree with my other fellow big-city'ers about not living one's life in fear. I haven't altered my daily activities at all because of these bastardly attacks. On the day of the US retaliation (last Sunday), I took my fiance downtown to register for our wedding gifts. Did the same thing today... of course, the threat to a large city is very real, and it's always in the back of my mind. But I refuse to let it actually affect my actions.
I'm not sure about others on the HTF, but I rely on the public transportation system. I have a car, but I dropped the insurance on it since I never drive it (except to move it to one side of the street for street cleaning). Now, riding the subway is a different experience. As much as I'd like to NOT think about it, I'm always looking over my shoulder. In fact, as bad as it sounds (and is), I find myself giving a second look and paying "closer" attention to those of middle-eastern descent on the trains. Not something I'm proud of, but sadly (and ashamedly I must admit), it's become part of my thinking. Usually I catch myself doing it, and in shame, tell myself that I'm acting against the freedoms that our soldiers are dying for. But it still happens...
Anyway, not to say that I'm paranoid about it, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a bit nervous. I commute to work an hour and a half each way to work every week day (subway and bus). I'm not so much worried about an attack on the bus, but the threat of a subway attack is very real. Here in Boston, they've removed all of the trash cans from all of the stations. They've placed armed police officers in the stations, and are planning to install chemical and bio weapons detectors at stations and in the tunnels. But things are definitely different now. I dont think anyone can honestly say that they aren't at least a little bit "cautious."
I'm planning to travel home for Christmas. I've always flown back home (1200 miles). And, with airline prices as cheap as they are (I can get round trip tickets from Providence to Nashville for $67), I'd love to pick up tickets for my fiance and me right now. However, if more airline attacks continue as the year goes on, I'm NOT going to put either her or myself on an airplane, not until very major changes take place with airlines and airport security.

Eric Scott

Second Unit
I haven't figured out how I have lived as long as I have, but there is one thing I know for certain, I didn't worry about it.
I mainly attribute the reason for my minimal personal concern to knowing the difference between commonsense and nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks