To those of you who haven't read this...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Parrado, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Manuel Parrado

Manuel Parrado Stunt Coordinator

From the ISF website:

“Teenage angst is nothing. To understand real pain, consider the grown man trying to buy a big-screen television in the year 2000.”

“Any thinking person who tries to make an intelligent purchase of big-screen TV right now must end up like me: desolate, inconsolable, barking angrily at my wife when she dares speak to me and muttering to myself in dark corners in ways that frighten the kids.”

“ We are all the victims of a giant conspiracy -or gross incompetence, I can’t decide which- perpetrated by manufacturers, broadcasters, politicians and the Federal Communications Commission."

N.Y. Times, September 21, 2000

This describes so well what I've been through.
    Of course, you guys at the forum make so much better.
    But the pain is still there.

Bottom line is, I still haven't made the order for a 53WX52, still worrying about so many things. $$$ is what makes it so painful.

Regards,

Manuel

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to the club, Manuel. We're all singing that song!

3. Manuel Parrado

The funny part is, I have the funds committed to it with no regrets.
    What has me still chickened out is the plethora of choices available.
    I'm in kind of a pre-purchase remorse limbo or something and feel stuck.
    But we all have to go through this ordeal when buying a big TV.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Manuel,

I went through the same nerve-wracking process last September.

I bought a widescreen rptv based on my experience with an analog rptv of the same make and about 3 weeks of almost nightly haunting of all the electronics stores in my city, playing with settings and inputs and driving myself crazy. I had the set for 2 weeks and frankly was very dissapointed with it's performance in my home, to the point that I decided to return it and go back to the analog set for a couple more years.

At the last minute I decided to exchange for a different make of widescreen rptv, and after 20 minutes with the new set was very happy I didn't go back to analog.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in light of the uncertainty you're going through, you should purchase locally from a store with a 30 day refund/exchange policy, live with the set for a couple of weeks, and if you aren't satisfied either get a refund or exchange for another brand. The peace of mind of knowing you can easily exchange if you're unhappy with the set in your home is well worth paying a bit more than online prices.

Remember that only you in your own home can evaluate the performance of your new tv. The set that looks worst in the stores can very well end up looking better in your home than the one that looks best in the stores.

5. Manuel Parrado

Steve, thanks for the input.

I'm just going to have to do it (that's the Nike commercial crap going into my head). Decide on one, that is.
    I've read only good things about this model and can get a very good price on it with a special discount but there is a 15% re-stocking fee if I want to return it (needless to say, almost prohibitive).
    I will think about your advice and decide what to do.
    I'll post, of course.

Manuel

6. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Actually Manuel now is a great time to buy. You can get last years models at clearance prices because the retailers have to make room for the new models comming out, hell many are all ready out.

So I say get out there already and find out what you've been missing.

Sapere aude!

7. Manuel Parrado

Still stuck, gentlemen.
    Read my other post on a Sam's Club TV.

8. HarleyMYK

HarleyMYK Agent

I am of the other mode. I made my decision quickly - went to Costco, Good Guys, and Best Buy and pulled the trigger the next day. Though I really like my Tosh 42H81, I now have 30 days to wonder if I made a mistake and should take it back (see post below). Same angst, but I get to watch my wide-screen while I contemplate.

9. Manuel Parrado

Sorry to hear that, Harley.

It always help to do some research.
    But you see where it leads with RPTV's.
    I'm now at the point where I don't even know if I want to buy now anymore.

10. HarleyMYK

HarleyMYK Agent

Don't take it the wrong way. I am very happy with the 42H81 and I am enjoying it a lot. Tombstone was fantastic on this set (to my unsophisticated vision). And the fact that 90 or so people looked at my post below and did not say "Boy did you blow it" makes me think that while my decision may not have been the very best one, at least it was not too stupid (no flames now please).[​IMG]