What's new

To svhs or not? (1 Viewer)

Jon Cielo

Agent
This is my first post in quite some time. I've researched the archives a fair amount and have found good information on models and such. I am in between a normal vhs vcr and an svhs. I work at an electronics store, and get a fair discount. However, we only carry up to the jvc 5900. The 7xxx and 9xxx models seem to be favored here. I can get the 7800 at crutchfield for $200, but thats a lot more than my price on the 5900. Should I consider just going with a Sony 88 or Panasonic if I do not buy a 7xxx jvc?

Also, I would like to copy tapes of recorded television shows. I am in need of a stabilizer or amplifier, yes? Does the Sima Copymaster suit this task? I know Radio Shack has an s-video amplifier, which probably does the same thing. BTW, I would be using the new vcr with a jvc 3400 svhs. Thanks in advance.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jon.

I'd strongly suggest going with a SVHS unit.

I answer posts for lots of people that try to route things through their receiver. They have SVideo from their DVD player, DSS unit, even CATV box. The one and only Composite video source is the VCR. It makes life so much simpler to standardize on SVideo (which a SVHS VCR will give you).

It will also allow you to make cleaner copies if you are recording from a DSS/CATV box that has SVideo out.

No, you dont need any type of amp to copy machine to machine. Just hook them up with a nice set of cables.

Jon Cielo

Agent
Thanks for the reply Bob. Do you think I should just pay more for the 7800 rather than 5900? How much of a difference do you think I would see?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Buy the 7800!!! The Time Base Correction is worth the money and $200 for it is a bargain price. Get some real S-VHS tapes and you'll be suprised how good tapes can look. Best wishes!

Jay Blair

Second Unit
See my post under Super VHS Purchase thread. I agree completely that the best machine you could purchase $ for $ right now is one of the JVC 7800 models. You will not be disappointed.

Jon Cielo

Agent
I just purchased a 7800 from Crutchfield, well, actually two. I bought a new one, and I bought a Scratch and Dent model, with which the warranty is covered by Crutchfield instead of JVC. It was $30 cheaper, and it took me above the $250 minimum for a $25 coupon. I found it doing a search on Yahoo. After they arrive, I will see how bad it is "scratched" and compare performance with the new one. I will return the one I like least. I'll be sure to post my findings. Thanks for everyones help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks