1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

To spike or not to spike?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by EdNichols, Aug 6, 2003.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Right now my speakers are sitting directly on the carpet. I am getting ready to change from carpet to hardwood in my living room so I am wondering about needing spikes. I've lost the spikes for my speakers so I was wondering if it would be worth trying to get some replacement spikes. Do spikes make enough difference for me to try to get some more?

2. Jonathan_E

Jonathan_E Agent

I'm pretty sure spikes are actually meant to be used with carpet, not hardwood floors.

You want a nice solid base for your speakers so that they don't tip (If these are floorstanding loudspeakers, which I assume they are), so that is why you use the spikes with carpet because they poke through the carpet and make the speakers more stable.

If you used spikes with hard wood floors, you'd just scratch up your new floor.

-Jonathan

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I am a firm beleiver in the use of spikes, no matter what type of floor the speakers are on.

The stability of a speaker is very important in how it sounds. Placing a speaker directly on a carpet will allow it to rock back and forth. As the woofer moves in and out, it causes the cabinet to move if the cabinet is not set to be stable. This (small) movement will affect the sound. I have tried it both ways over the years (with floorstanding and stand mounted bookshelves) and spikes always make a difference. Of course this is just my opinion. Probably some who would debate this.

Also, many spike manufacturers include small discs to put under the spikes, to avoid damage to the floor.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

How light were those speakers James?

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

The bass response of most speakers will be reduced if they are placed directly on carpet or another soft surface. That's what spikes were originally designed for, to get speakers off carpet. But even sitting them directly on hardwood will interfer with how the speakers was intended to sound. Spikes (with discs to protect the floor) will decouple the speaker from the floor and help it sound more as the designers intended.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I would not give spikes a second thought imo but do use a rubber pad.

7. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

Dan, thanks!!!