What's new

To soundproof or not to soundproof (1 Viewer)

dkAz

Auditioning
Real Name
Denise
My husband and I have our 58” flat screen TV hung on the wall in our living room. We don’t have any additional speakers other than the TV speakers. Unfortunately, the spare bedroom is right behind that wall. We are expecting our first child, and trying to think ahead on how to limit the TV noise that will be traveling into the room.

Is soundproofing the ONE common wall between the rooms going to help the sound from traveling into that room? we cannot modify the wall on the side of the TV, only inside of the bedroom. we cannot tear down the drywall, only add to it. The bedroom is small, so we are limited in space and can’t add tons of layers. Also, we’ll be contracting this job out and not doing it ourselves, so adding layers would also add to the cost.

We were thinking of adding Green Glue and one layer of 5/8” drywall to the inside of the bedroom.

How much of the sound will be muffled by that?
Would using Quiet Rock instead of regular drywall make a huge difference?
My wall is about 135 sq/ft, so the cost of QuietRock would be about $500-$650 (for the 510 or 525 products). Would it make a HUGE difference over regular drywall?

Would adding acoustical caulking make a big difference? One contractor told us that we didn’t need Green Glue, only acoustical caulking. That Green Glue keeps the sound in a room, but won't keep it out of a room.

Also, right now we have a hollow door. I know we should get a solid core door. Any recommendations? Would just changing the door make enough of a difference to the sound?

I really appreciate all your help,
Denise

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
STC Ratings
QuietRock Soundproof Drywall

As you can see, drywall with insulation will give you an STC of around 40. Double drywall on one side will increase that to about 44. While adding QuietRock (depending on the version) can give you an STC of up to 80.

A solid core door is useless if sound gets underneath. Get a soundproof threshold.

And your contractor is a MORON. Soundproofing works in both directions.

Finally, one site I looked at had a little story on how to soundproof an apartment. It may be similar to the solution you are looking for. Soundproofing an apartment

-Robert

dkAz

Auditioning
Real Name
Denise
Thanks Robert.

How much does insulation help with the soundproofing? This is an interior wall, which probably doesn't have any. Is worth the cost to add insulation? That would mean tearing the existing drywall down as well. Adds about $400 to the job.

Doesn't sound like just adding GG and 5/8" drywall would make that much of a dent in the noise control. Am I understandng you right?

thanks again.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it gives you an STC of 44 compared to drywall only of 40. It's not much.

Unfortunately, you either have to go expensive or not at all. I think the white noise machine mentioned above will probably be your best bet. Raising the ambient noise floor is equivalent to soundproofing. I have slept with a fan for at least 30 years. My wife even packs a desktop one when we travel. It doesn't really blow air but it is noisy as heck and that's what we want.

-Robert

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Is it not possible to move the TV?

My experience is that the kid will be waking you up a whole lot more than you will be waking him/her up!

BTW, congrats!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks