What's new

To second sub or not (1 Viewer)

mitchell b

Auditioning
I am using the polk RM 6200 series speakers and they recomend NOT using the LFE channel on the amp. Instead they recomend running the main connections to the sub, then back to the main speakers.

I was told to pick up a second sub and plug IT into the LFE output.

Should I, and if I do, does the sub have to have a special input or just an RCA input ?

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I would hook it up just like any other system. Make sure all your speakers are set to small & do use your LFE channel. The only time that you would wont to run everything through your sub is if you don't have a sub out on your receiver. If you don't use the LFE you will miss a good amount of bass information that is in 5.1 or 6.1 sources.

mitchell b

Auditioning
would there be any harm in leaving them the way they are and hooking a second sub up to the LFE ?

Thanks for your help

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Mitchell: You certainly can run your front r/l speaker wire to the sub, then to the speakers, but you won't be using the sub to it's fullest capability. Don't forget that there is low frequency information in the center & surround speakers as well.

I've had my system connected as you described, but changed to the method Joe described.

Only using the sub for the LFE channel, in my opinion, would not take full advantage of your investment. Plus, you may run into problems with two subwoofers cancelling each other out at certain frequencies.

My advice...for what it's worth: Buy the best sub you can afford: SVS, HSU, Paradigm, etc., connect it using your line level connections, stick it in a corner, and enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks