What's new

To Run Through or Not... (1 Viewer)

Rottmannash

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I have an Samsung 55" LED 4K TV. Originally when I purchased it I ran the HDMI straight from the DirecTV receiver to the TV but when I bought the Onkyo TX RZ810 receiver I ran the signal through the Onkyo receiver. Was this a good decision? I know the receiver purportedly upscales non 4K signals but not sure about that. Can someone enlighten me on the pros and cons of running the DirecTV signal through the Onkyo please? I know one con is the long lag time when changing channels for the picture to return vs running straight into the TV.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Can you describe exactly how everything is currently wired in your system? This would give, at least for myself, a place to start to provide you with pros and cons.

I know one con is the long lag time when changing channels for the picture to return vs running straight into the TV.
This may have more to do with the settings on your DirecTV box than how it is wired to the TV. In my experience, it is best to turn NATIVE resolution off on the DirecTV receiver if you want to reduce lag times, as there will be a handshake delay each time you change the channel as they try to negotiate going from 1080i to 720p to 480i and backwards.

Rottmannash

Auditioning
Real Name
David
ah, didn't know that about "native". thanks. turned it off. Basically everything wired runs through the Onkyo via HDMI cables that isn't streamed. DirecTV via HDMI into Onkyo then out of the Onkyo into the TV via HDMI. I know the Onkyo has some processing internally and I am using some of that but typically I try to turn most things off that might interfere with the signal. My question revolves around my lack of knowledge of the quality of the Onkyo receiver's ability to enhance the picture going into the tv.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
For one thing, fewer cables and you are using the Onkyo as sn input switcher for the most part.

When you said "Basically everything wired runs through the Onkyo via HDMI cables that isn't streamed" is that because you are using the apps on the TV?

Rottmannash

Auditioning
Real Name
David
For the most part I only use the YouTube app on the TV-I also have an Amazon Fire Stick which I stream HBO on. And I plug USB drives directly into the tv to watch movies that way as well. I assume I shouldn't use the Onkly receiver as a switching device?

Rottmannash

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Also the Fire Stick plugs directly into the receiver as well. Because I use the ARC feature I wasn't certain if Dolby Digital, DTS, etc would be sent back to the receiver if I were to plug the Fire Stick directly into the tv. Wasn't sure of the audio quality when relying on the ARC feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks