What's new

To round out the All In The Family cannon, can we..... (1 Viewer)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
There are, in fact, two versions of the Gloria pilot. The one featuring him at the beginning of the show was never aired on CBS because O'Connor refused to sign off on his appearance after the network made changes to the episode as provided by his production company. So the aired episode (and the one syndicated with the rest of the Gloria episodes) does not include his scenes at the beginning. The original version, including O'Connor and unaltered by the network, was added as a 97th episode to the Archie Bunker's Place syndication package. He definitely divorced himself from the spinoff from that point forward.The best summation of The Sanford Arms was from the writer who heard that both Foxx and Wilson had left but NBC was moving forward with The Sanford Arms. "My God!" he exclaimed. "They renewed the set!"
I am not completely familiar with the episodes (it's been decades since I've seen Gloria) but are you sure you're not confusing the pilot (always an ABP episode, though unaired on CBS) with the Gloria premiere (always a Gloria episode)?

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I am not completely familiar with the episodes (it's been decades since I've seen Gloria) but are you sure you're not confusing the pilot (always an ABP episode, though unaired on CBS) with the Gloria premiere (always a Gloria episode)?

I've only seen the pilot from the complete All in the Family DVD set (bonus feature) and it has Archie at the beginning.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Crackle has most but not all of the episodes of this show on their website...19 out of 24, if memory serves me correctly?

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
IIRC correctly, the Gloria pilot, which airs as an episode of ABP, is completely different from the first aired episode of Gloria. The pilot features Carroll O’Connor in the first scene, and also has a different actor playing the younger male veterinarian.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
IIRC correctly, the Gloria pilot, which airs as an episode of ABP, is completely different from the first aired episode of Gloria. The pilot features Carroll O’Connor in the first scene, and also has a different actor playing the younger male veterinarian.
Good eye. Yeah, I forgot about the different actor when I made my previous post about the two separate episodes (as I said it's been awhile since I've seen them).

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Yes, I remember Cliff Mac saying that. I inquired privately about the comparison to All in the Family and he admitted that the music wasn't so much more prevalent in Maude, but that lower sales expectations made it seem less worth the clearances. But the relevant point is that Mary Hartman with its 325 episodes and its constantly humming and singing characters must have had a lot more music issues than Maude, but they still went for it.Sanford and Son was a big syndication hit and probably cost a lot to license. I'm sure Sanford was much more in line with BET's resources at the time.I agree about Sony MOD. It seemed promising, but seems to have fallen dormant.
Almost every season Maude did a telethon-type episode with lots of songs (Bea Arthur having been a Tony-award winning actress on Broadway). Don't know how many songs are not public domain but I imagine those episodes would be a problem. And of course if they don't include those episodes then people would complain the set isn't complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks