What's new

To Quote Moe: "Oh, Dear God No!" The Next Superman to be... (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Ok, I'll admit that I haven't been floored by Welling's range in some of the Smallville episodes as of late... but...

Given time, opportunity, and maybe an acting coach, perhaps Tom Welling can surprise us. There's a couple of years between Smallville an a possible movie which might even give him the chance to act in other non-Superman related material.

All I'm saying is he's got the look and the character of Clark down pretty well, and most of us accept him AS Clark Kent. Regarding his acting range... give him time, and he might just surprise you. With Tom in the role, we have a sympathetic lead because we've seen the character grow. We know he has a history, and we've seen him progress with time.

As for rushing a Superman movie to production - don't do it. I realize that Warner has probably spent a bundle of moolah on this production so far and has gotten nowhere, but someone somewhere has to recognize that it's mostly because it's been treated as a joke. Must we rehash the whole "Giant-Spider-Lex-Luthor-Krypton-Cop"'ish stories? Face it - if this production is rushed, it'll be a Schumacher'ish nightmare of a flopping-bomb. It will KILL the franchise, and any potential for other DC based Superhero flicks for the forseeable future. Case in point - the Marvel features of the mid-80's/early-90's (Captain America, Fantastic Four, Punisher), all of which were jokes and did nothing to help the cause. Hell - Look at what happened to the Batman franchise. Somewhere, some hollywood executive MUST understand this concept... or maybe we're just giving them too much credit.

Marvel's done a great job recently with their new flicks, mostly because they've been taking them a lot more seriously. Campy Satire and silly script modifications have been thrown out the window. What we have are movies that stay true to the source, and pay homage to the characters and their histories. X-Men, Daredevil and Spiderman are all good examples of this. We'll see what X-Men2 & Hulk will show us.

I hope the folks at Warner are paying attention to the standard that Marvel is setting here.

Forget casting for now. What's needed is a proper production team whole will respect the characters, the history, and the STORY enough to pen a proper screenplay. Worry about casting the perfect actor later. Learn to walk before you learn to run.

Ken,

Superman has a better-than-Daredevil, maybe better-than-Spiderman recognition level.
You're kidding, right? "Maybe" better than Spiderman?

Superman is the #1 most recognizable Superhero in the history of the comic-book medium. Spiderman, while a great character, carries Supes' towel.

Moe.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Hey I liked Punisher! :D Now Captain America,wow was that bad...I really dont think Warner is gonna learn till they land on their ass again.Aome studios have to learn the hard way I guess :angry:

Luis S

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Superman is the #1 most recognizable Superhero in the history of the comic-book medium. Spiderman, while a great character, carries Supes' towel.
That's still not nearly a big enough description, though. Spider-Man is quite popular but Superman is arguably the most recognizable fictional character ever created. I think the conventional wisdom is that the only character that's said to exceed Superman is Mickey Mouse. Spider-Man still doesn't quite carry across multiple cultures to that degree.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
MOE I strongly agree. They should not rush out a Superman movie just because they feel like it. Wait a few years and a great Welling, Rosenbaum Superman movie will have much more meaning with their entire history of Smallville to build on. God, this is one time you want to be in on a major company's senior staff meeting and shake things up, just like Bartleby and Loki! :D

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
> I strongly agree. They should not rush out a Superman movie just because they feel like it. Wait a few years and a great Welling, Rosenbaum Superman movie will have much more meaning with their entire history of Smallville to build on. God, this is one time you want to be in on a major company's senior staff meeting and shake things up, just like Bartleby and Loki! :D>

They already have the perfect Lex Luthor as well. Besides, think of the advertising push the end of the series would give the staert of the movie. 'Free' Advertising Warner Brothers!

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Just think of the amount of anticipation that Smallville can generate for an upcoming Superman movie featuring the Smallville cast! The show is slowly introducing us to Clark and the discovery of his powers, and how to use them. It's establishing a bond between characters (Clark, Lex, Ma & Pa Kent, etc.), and has even made us somewhat sympathetic to what has traditionally been a one-dimensional "evil" character in Lex Luthor!

We know that we're not going to see Welling as Superman while he's in Smallville, nor will we see him flying. So just think of how they could play that angle in the final season of the show.

Essentially, if they play their cards right, they could use the entire final season to not only wrap up loose Smallville plot threads, but also begin building to the movie. What an opportunity this presents WB in terms of story ideas...

Think about it - no other comic book based character has had this kind of opportunity! Every current flick we see has been born & raised on the silver screen, and has been burdened with the task of establishing such complex character studies (as will as origin, villains, supporting cast, etc) in under a 2 hour timeframe.

Superman, if done right by following Smallville, would not face the same burden. That is, again, assuming that Warner does the smart thing.

I'm willing to wait an extra 3 years to see Superman done right.

Moe.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Maby a concentrated fan letter campaign can get them to see the genius of us non-executive fans? ;)..

Lanny_B

Second Unit
My biggest fear about any Superman movie is the casting. Next is the director. Next is Lois Lane.

I'm still glad we're not hearing about Tim Burton and Nicolas Cage anymore! Holy crap that was close!

I love Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve. The closest they can get to the combination, the better.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
That was a great rant from Harry. Not really a rant, just good advice.

But, WB, WAIT FOR SMALLVILLE TO END! :angry:

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well, hes a better choice than the others. I cant definately see him in the suit and such. Personally, besides Welling, I'd rather see Brendan Fraser, I know he can play Clark, and he can play Supes too. He's even got the chin!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
God bless ya, Harry. I don't usually like your rants that much, but when you get it right, you hit it out of the park, dude. We can only hope the WB guys pay attention.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, I think the chances of the WB guys paying any attention is slim at best.

These guys have one thought on their minds - fast cash. Unfortunately, I doubt whether most of these execs are actually fans of the source material and want to do it justice. I also doubt that they recognize that doing it justice (and doing the fans justice), and DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY is the best way to make that money.

Moe.

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
I think WB miscasted here if this is true while I think he is better then Harnett, I always thought Boreanaz would be better as Batman(hell has the brooding thing down :D ) then Superman.

Chris

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
....I can hear a bouncing sound. It's loud and annoying.

Somebody at WB must have dropped the ball. :frowning:

Color me disappointed.

Sigh.....

Moe.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Alyson Hannigan could play Lana Lang. :D

Cast Eliza Dushku as Lois Lane. Yowza!

SMG could play Lucy Lane (both have blonde hair).

Why not just cast Nicholas Brendon (Xander) in the Clark Kent role, and let Boreanaz fly around in tights.

Shave Spike's head and let James Marsters play Lex. Or bring back Mark Metcalf (The Master) to play Lex.

I don't like Boreanaz as Superman, he's got that "dark creature of the night" vibe, so Batman is a better fit.

Let Anthony Stewart Head (Giles) play Perry White.

Alexis Denisof could play Jimmy Olsen, maybe.

Okay, I'll stop now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks