To pre-order or not to pre-order?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rhett_Y, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Hi all..

Here is my question. With lots of hot titles coming out very soon, do most of you usually pre-order them off the net or do you hit the stores that day?

In your experience have you been able to beat the net prices on the new titles the first week they are out at B&M stores or is it about the same?

Thanks

R~

Wish list

Buffy season 2

Harry Potter

From Hell SE

The Others

Monsters Inc

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Do you usually get your DVDs before the street date when you preorder?

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I still pre-order almost everything. In New York City, it's rare to beat internet prices in B&M stores. Most of my orders are here the day before street date.

M.

4. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Rarely do I get the titles that I pre-order before they street. It has been hit or miss for me when it comes to beating internet prices. Sometimes I can sometimes I can't. I can usually beat the prices if and when they ever make it to places like sams club or price club. The agony of it all!

R~

5. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I've stopped pre-ordering all major titles because Circuit City and Best Buy will have cheaper prices usually. I still pre-order smaller titles that will not be heavily promoted/discounted.

Most of the time when I pre-order I get the title right around the release date.

Gregory

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I still pre-order, since it saves me a trip to the store. Most pre-orders arrive on release date or the day before. Pricing is usually about the same as the first week prices at Best Buy, but BB does not always carry the new titles I am interested in.

7. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Well as for box sets they are usually a lot cheaper online then at retail stores. Also most other dvd's are cheaper as well. Thats my reason for it

capt

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

The word for today is: convenience. If I had the time and/or willingness to drive around town and do my DVD shopping, then pre-ordering wouldn't matter much. But, to get the disc sent to my door and be guarenteed a copy is all the reason I need.
    Bruce

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

In addition to the two above, most store will not carry 'all' of the new releases, so if you are looking for an 'off the wall' on, use the internet.

Glenn

10. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

In addition to all of the above, if you're lucky, you might get it a day or several days early.

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I don't like to pre-order until I've at least seen the package in my own hands up close, since you never know when they're going to mess it up. (Pan-and-scan Willy Wonka "Special Edition" anyone?)

12. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

Seemed like a fair question to me. (if somewhat redundant)

Pre-Orders were the "in thing" when discounts approached or exceeded 50%. (back during the dot.com heyday)

I haven't pre-ordered anything since.

However it is still useful when you hear about an upcoming title, want it, and don't want to have to watch the calendar to make sure you don't forget to pick it up.

Also, as has been said, the prices online (pre-order or not) are usually lower than local stores. Also, pre-ordering allows you to get the title within several days of the release date (usually) without having to "price check" the title all over town on release day. Not to mention travelling to whichever local store has the best price, waiting in line ,etc.