to port or to build a bigger box, that is the...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Geno, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Alright, after some tests on my oscilat0r thru my sub, I get pretty balanced db levels from 30hz to 80hz but Iknow for sure I am losing out on the LOW LOW end. With a free air Fs of 26Hz, I know I can bring the db's of the lower tones higher with either building a bigger box or porting the one I have now [or bulding a bigger box AND porting it]

I guess I just wanted some outside opinions on this if anyone cared to help me out.

Alright I have a 128 liter box with 2 - 10" woofers installed in a sealed box. I have a stereo amp running each speaker at 120 watts RMS.

Sadly and luckily there is no WAF factor involved so I can always go sonotube [​IMG]...

please comment

geno

2. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

Ported is probably the way to go for you because A larger box won't make much difference in the low low end. A larger sealed box is usually used to get better group delay numbers not deeper bass you would probably only gain 1-2 db's at 20 hz with larger sealed box.

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

At 64 liters per woofer that's already a pretty big sealed box for 10 inch woofers. To really investigate this properly we'd like to know the T/S parameters of the woofers you're using. If you have them please post them. Otherwise maybe we could find them on the manufacturer's website ... if we knew what brand and model woofer.

IOW, more information is needed.

4. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

5. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

PS the weekend is here and I will be doing full tests and I will post results sunday or monday.

6. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

We need at least three basic parameters before we can tell you anything about them.

1.Vas
    2.QTS
    3.FS