To New Line Cinema: Please Release "Angus" (1995) on DVD!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Numan Parada, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

To whom it may concern,

We the undersigned feel that the film "Angus" (1995) merits the proper care and attention that many other fine films enjoy today. This film, among other things:

--Introduced the world to the talents of two great young actors, James Van der Beek and Charlie Talbert.

--Exposed the emotionally difficult aspects of going through high school, bullies, and crushes, through the eyes of the overweight and confused Angus Bethune, who confronted these matters with courage, honesty, and wit.

--Dealt with themes of rejection, alienation, the awakening of youth to social ideology, and the conquest of fear and oppression through self-worth.

--Showcased the luscious autumn photography of Alexander Gruszynski.

--Featured Academy Award winners Kathy Bates and Rita Moreno, as well as George C. Scott in one of his final film roles.

--Made a strong emotional impact on those whose youth resembled that of Angus, gave us confidence and pride in our unique talents and conviction that such a positive film can do the same for others.

Therefore, we the undersigned strongly petition for the release of "Angus" on DVD, which should include (but not limit itself to):

--A director's cut of the film, presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1. A fullscreen version of the film would be unacceptable.

--Deleted scenes and bloopers.

--Audio or separate video commentary about the making of the film and its impact on the makers, actors, and viewers. It should include interviews and commentaries by the director, Patrick Read Johnson, the writer, Jill Gordon, the producer, Charles Roven, the writer of the original short story, Chris Crutcher, film reviewer Roger Ebert, and the four young leads, Chris Owen, Ariana Richards, Charlie Talbert, and James Van der Beek.

--Music videos, trailers, T.V. spots, and other promotional material.

Thank you!

2. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

I have recently created an online petition relating to the release of Angus on DVD. I'm afraid I can't add a link to it here, but if you go to the Google search engine and type in Angus on DVD, you should find the Petition Online link.

If you found it and plan to sign it, please remember to use your FULL NAME. Select "Make e-mail available to petition author." When you're done, MAKE SURE YOUR NAME IS ON THE SIGNATURES PAGE!!! Also invite your friends to sign the petition. The more signatures, the better! (I plan to send this petition to New Line in early July. 1,000 signatures would give gravity to the petition.) Thanks for your help!

-Numan Parada

3. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

Hi everyone! I just wanted to thank all of those people that have signed the petition to date! Your support has been very encouraging. Currently, there are 175 signatures, but as already stated, I aim for at least 1,000 by July. If you are reading this and have not already done so, please sign the petition and invite your friends to do the same by following the instructions on the above post. Once again, thank you all!

[email protected]

4. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I'll definitely sign the petition. A great film and I'm surprised it's still not out.

Numan, could you also tell me the address you're sending the petition to? I've been trying to get through to an e-mail with New Line for a while now about doing a special edition of Mortal Kombat...

5. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

Here is the address I'll be using. I hope it works for you:

New Line Cinema, Inc.
    116 N. Robertson Blvd., Ste. 200
    Los Angeles, CA 90048
    United States of America

6. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

About ‚Ç‚ñ‚ÈŽž‚à:

Hi guys!

Thanks to all of those who have so far signed the Angus on DVD petition. There are now 300 signatures! If you still haven't done so and are interested, please sign the petition by doing a Google search, typing "angus dvd signatures" and pressing "I'm Feeling Lucky", which will instantly take you to the petition.

Please use your full name and allow the petitioner to view your e-mail address. Also keep your comments brief but nicely written, without bad grammar or foul language. If you can, express both your personal feelings towards the film as well as its artistic qualities and social relevancies. You may also want to write about adding features such as outtakes, deleted scenes, a new, leaner cut of the film, posters, commentary by the actors and director, insightful documentaries and additional commentaries, a special cut of the film that includes Angus' gay dad, music videos, and/or a more extensive soundtrack.

When you're done, invite your friends to do the same. The more signatures there are, the more likely the petition will be taken seriously. Once again, thanks!

-Numan Parada

7. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

Recently, someone has been "stuffing" the petition with vague and questionable names (or even just words), thus inflating the number of signatures on the petition. Whoever is doing that, STOP IT!!! It's dishonest, and the powers-that-be will not pay attention to a petition that is made up of fake signatures, especially if the petition is small enough to be viewable. This is a serious petition that earns every name it gets through its own merits. Thank you!

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I just signed the petition. I guess I didn't look closely enough at the names to recognize any fake ones.

9. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I like "Angus", watched it on cable the other day BUT why can't you just include the link in this thread? As I said, I dig the movie but I'm not going to search for the petition. If you want people to sign it then I would suggest you make it easy for them to find.

10. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

I can't post a link yet because I have yet to post the required fifteen replies in order to do so. I'm very sorry about it. Hopefully, I'll get there.

11. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

12. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

To Mr. Allred:

I just signed your petitions, and I wish you the best in getting those films on DVD!

To Joseph S.:

Thanks so much for being able to post the link! It will greatly help the petition!

13. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Signed it.

14. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

Thanks a million for your support in signing the Angus on DVD petition. In about a week, I will prepare the petition so that it can be sent to the powers-that-be. If you still haven't done so, please sign it. A few more signatures can't hurt. Mr. Allred has posted the link for us just above this post. Thanks!

15. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

I decided not to send the petition yet, choosing to instead send it when I have some 1,200 signatures. We are now at 750 signatures! Thanks for all of those who signed so far. I figured out that there are some 160 invalid signatures, no thanks to that person who "stuffed" the petition with, well, no-names. I advise that if you wish to sign the petition, please make sure you put down your full name and also select the button reading "Make Available to Author" at the bottom. Once again, thanks!

I also created a website dedicated to the two leading talents in Angus and their work. Please visit if you're a fan!

talbertandowen.home.comcast.net

16. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

Thanks for your support! After a full year since the petition was established, it now has 1,000 signatures. If you still haven't done so, please sign it and invite others to do so. Once again, in order to avoid empty and/or fake signatures, please select "Available to Petition Author" at the Email Address Privacy Option. Thanks!

17. ChristopherBlig

ChristopherBlig Stunt Coordinator

Woo hoo, quadruple digits. Yeah baby. C'mon, Angus has to dance with the girl sometime

18. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

Hello once again! It's been a while, but it's good to be back. I'm glad to share with you all that the petition is appoaching the 1,200 signature mark!

Just today, I found something of a curveball. It's a post on IMDb that claims a DVD will be produced:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112368/...48260#15548260

In any case, I have found other ways one can help the cause:

(1) Send letters to the following people and companies, so that you can show your interest in seeing Angus on DVD. Here's a sample letter you can take a few cues from: http://talbertandowen.home.comcast.net/sample.htm

Charles Roven
    c/o Atlas Entertainment
    9200 Sunset Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90069
    United States of America

New Line Cinema, Inc.
    116 N. Robertson Blvd., Ste. 200
    Los Angeles, CA 90048
    United States of America

Warner Home Video
    3903 West Olive Avenue, Room 3114
    Burbank, CA 91505

Patrick Read Johnson, director
    c/o Moonwatcher Inc.
    P.O. Box 430
    Wadsworth, IL 60083

(2) Failing that, send an e-mail to Anchor Bay. They have had a good history of furnishing quality DVDs of rare film titles, even those that weren't distributed under their name. Another place to try is The Criterion Collection's Ask Jon Mulvaney page. Select "Title Suggestion," fill in the necessary information, and write down that you want Angus on DVD. It's a long stretch, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Once again, thanks for your support!

19. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

Thanks once again for those who signed the petition. I'm in the process of weeding out incomplete signatures and preparing a spreadsheet to send. We're well past 1,200 signatures. Slowly but surely we're getting there!

Here's the link: http://www.petitiononline.com/Angus95/petition.html

You may also send a form reply to Fantoma on their website (http://www.fantoma.com) suggesting to produce Angus on DVD. They have an interesting track record of producing some fine DVDs of cult classics. Also try Home Vision Cinema by sending an e-mail to license at homevisioncinema com . Thanks!

20. Numan Parada

Numan Parada Extra

As I have just learned, the Warner Bros. address is wrong. If you are still interested in writing a letter, please use this one:

Warner Brothers
    4000 Warner Blvd.
    Burbank, CA 91522
    Attn: Warner Home Video Library

It is crucial that we write to this address, since Warner Bros. has the Turner Home Entertainment catalog, which includes Angus. At the moment, we're at 1,372 signatures. Thanks for your support!