What's new

International o My Eyes…MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (1974) from the UK (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Oh I realize I'm in the minority on this one and yes, the film has style to spare. I don't want to give the impression I think it's a BAD film, I don't and it's not. It's just not my favorite in the "series." I tend to get a lot more enjoyment out of those that followed.

Maybe it's because I tend to be performance oriented but everyone seems to be relishing their turn at bat and only Lauren Bacall disappoints. The look of the film is ravishing,

It's funny because, as much as I love Lauren Bacall, I think she's the weak link as well, She pulls me out of the story every time because she's the only one who refuses to be "period." It IS a ravishing production, and I think she sticks out like a sore thumb amidst all the marcelled hair in an otherwise meticulous production design.

I ordered the Studio Canal remasters of DEATH ON THE NILE and EVIL UNDER THE SUN and both of them advance significantly on the older blu-rays. NILE is the real revelation because the old master was sooooo bad that it's like night and day watching the new one, it's a real stunner. EVIL is less of an advance because the old blu-ray had a strong image to begin with. Even with that, the new one has great, deep color (fantastic reds!) and sharpness levels. The image is a little "washed out" in the exterior daytime scenes, oddly, but still a stronger experience. I bring this up only because Studio Canal has really upped their game with these so anyone who's on the fence about ORIENT and can play region B releases should get it immediately. I'm planning to order this one eventually (the old blu-ray was the worst of the bunch and I actually watch the DVD when I want to see it) I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Last edited:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Has anyone noticed that Wendy Hiller looks a lot like Gary Oldman in "Dracula". I wonder if he was trying to channel her in his performance. Same hair; same look; same voice.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I love this film. 1974 was one of Hollywood's best years and this is near the top. Albert Finny is delightful. The only sore point for me is the celebration sequence at the end. It seems to be just an excuse for a final close up of all the great actors. If they had to keep the cameras rolling after the story had ended, then, IMO, Lumet should just have focused on Jacqueline Bisset for the final five minutes. As Poirot says, la belle femme.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks