What's new

To Mr. Robert Harris: 10 films you’d like to have restored! (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ha, it's sitting on some dusty shelf in a dank basement somewhere, alongside a complete print of London After Midnight & the King Kong spider sequence & the original opening to Sunset Boulevard.
Uh, you forgot the complete version of Greed. Toss in all the other Stroheim films cut by the studios.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
If you look under the table, you might find a complete print of THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
In the case of The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, it's the rest of it that needs rescuing, after all, that's the version I saw at the cinema. A new scan from the original cut negatives, & all the stuff after that done properly. I wonder if I'll ever happen?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
In the case of The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, it's the rest of it that needs rescuing, after all, that's the version I saw at the cinema. A new scan from the original cut negatives, & all the stuff after that done properly. I wonder if I'll ever happen?
That would be lovely. I have the beat-up Kino Blu-Ray, but it's really not worth looking at. And yes, the film was glorious to watch in the cinema.

Reactions: PMF

jmegas

Auditioning
Real Name
James C. Megas
I'd like to see "It" with Clara Bow released on Blu-ray and "Roman Holiday" with Audrey Hepburn released as a Criterion Edition Blu-ray.

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
"THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL" (John Sturges' Ultra Panavision)
"THE GO-BETWEEN" (Joseph Losey's Cannes winner)
"BOUND FOR GLORY" (Hal Ashby's pic on Woody Guthrie)
"SAVAGE MESSIAH" (Ken Russell's biopic)
"MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON" (Bob Rafelson)
"RAISE THE RED LANTERN" (Zhang Yimou)
"DAYS OF RUNNING WILD" (Wong Kar-Wai)
"THE SCARLET EMPRESS" (Josef von Sternberg)

loaloa55

Auditioning
Real Name
Alain
The trick is finding that print, after decades in a hot & humid location...

Good Lord, finding the Ark of the Covenant would be probably more easy than finding this Magnificent Andersons print....except if there is some hints about where the print could eventually be - or where it was seen for the last time, even decades ago.

Is there any hints, Robert?

It's a great treasure hunt anyway... But are you sure that Orson didn't came back from Brazil with the print? Seems strange to me that he would have left it there... I know he found about the editing cuts after he went back from South America so eventually he may have left a print in Brazil thinking he won't need it, but still...

Last edited:

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
I would have like to see Mr. Harris restoring Hammers 1958 classic DRACULA. Every effort so far has produced one disappointment after another. I think in his hands, this film, including the restored scenes would look terrific!!!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The Woman God Forgot 1917 DIR:Cecil B. DeMille w/Geraldine Farrar@Eastman House
Genuine (A Tale of a Vampire) 1920 DIR: Robert Weine
Orphans of the Storm 1921 DIR: D.W. Griffith
Sodom und Gomorrha 1922 DIR: Michael Curtiz
Moon of Israel 1924 DIR: Michael Curtiz
Quo Vadis 1924 DIR: Gabriellino D'Annunzio
Dante's Inferno 1924 DIR: Henry @ UCLA & MOMA
A Kiss for Cinderella 1925 DIR:Herbert Brenon w/Betty Bronson@ Eastman House
Alraune 1928 DIR:Henrik Galeen w/Brigitte Helm
Journey Beneath the Desert 1961 DIR:Edgar G. Ulmer w/Haya Harareet

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I would have like to see Mr. Harris restoring Hammers 1958 classic DRACULA. Every effort so far has produced one disappointment after another. I think in his hands, this film, including the restored scenes would look terrific!!!

Well it's supposed to be coming from Warner at some point. There are many who really like the cool look BFI release, I'm not one of them, let's have a bit of colour please Warner.

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
One movie which I'd like to see restored is The Greatest Story Ever Told. I believe that a print exists in the Library of Congress, and I heard that George Stevens Jr. had plans to restore the film. So, I'm holding out some hope that it can be restored to its original running time or very close to it.
For many years, I have hoped that this film would get a restoration . For reasons I cannot understand, it has never been given any attention. Even the son of its director has never done anything. Perhaps because it is not highly regarded in some circles, it has been ignored. I wonder what Mr. Harris thinks are its chances ...

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For many years, I have hoped that this film would get a restoration . For reasons I cannot understand, it has never been given any attention. Even the son of its director has never done anything. Perhaps because it is not highly regarded in some circles, it has been ignored. I wonder what Mr. Harris thinks are its chances ...

No idea. Not certain that it needs to be restored.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Our 10 films include: The Alamo, Around the World in 80 Days, The Big Fisherman, The Big Country, The Greatest Story Ever Told, Sodom and Gomorrah, The Hallelujah Trail, The Private Lives of Sherlock Holmes, Opasniye Povoroty and Great is my Country [the first Kinopanorama® film].

It is very doubtful that there would even be a market for the two Russian kinopanorama films that you mention .The cost would be prohibitive. How do you know that they even need to be restored? A new print of OPASNIYE POVOROTY was promised a long time ago but only a reel or two were ever printed. Their appeal outside Russia would be almost zero..They would simply be of curiosity interest only. Some of the footage from GREAT IS MY COUNTRY can be seen in the bluray of RUSSIAN ADVENTURE. It was a pity that Bing Crosby's nauseating narration ruined that film when it was shown in the west more than half a century ago.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Our 10 films include: The Alamo, Around the World in 80 Days, The Big Fisherman, The Big Country, The Greatest Story Ever Told, Sodom and Gomorrah, The Hallelujah Trail, The Private Lives of Sherlock Holmes, Opasniye Povoroty and Great is my Country [the first Kinopanorama® film].

Don't you mean "my' rather than 'our'? Good to see that you have changed your 40 plus year old photo on your profile .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks