What's new

To Mr. Robert Harris: 10 films you’d like to have restored! (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I just thought that this would be interesting to know.
So, Mr. Harris, what are your top 10 films you’d like to have restored?
These could be personal favourites, films you feel are important for cinema, obscure films with bad original elements, etc..

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
One film I would like to see on his list is John Huston's Beat the Devil. All broadcasts and released discs of this great film I have seen should look better.

I have news that'll make you happy!

Sony just restored the film in 4K. It's now available for repertory theaters as a DCP. (Though the film has circulated in poor quality public domain versions, Sony is asserting that the film is not actually in the public domain and that the claims that it is are false.) It's been rumored that Criterion will be releasing this new restoration eventually. That seems a likely possibility, as Criterion has been releasing some recent Sony restorations like The Awful Truth, It Happened One Night and Only Angels Have Wings. So I think you'll get to see this, and perhaps sooner than later.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I have news that'll make you happy!

Sony just restored the film in 4K. It's now available for repertory theaters as a DCP. (Though the film has circulated in poor quality public domain versions, Sony is asserting that the film is not actually in the public domain and that the claims that it is are false.) It's been rumored that Criterion will be releasing this new restoration eventually. That seems a likely possibility, as Criterion has been releasing some recent Sony restorations like The Awful Truth, It Happened One Night and Only Angels Have Wings. So I think you'll get to see this, and perhaps sooner than later.

Definitely AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Searchers. I recall Mr Harris saying it needs some work.

I think the current Blu looks terrific but if it can be improved, go for it.

My favorite western.

While The Searchers can use a bit of help, and as much as I both highly respect the film, and would like to be involved, this can be done internally, using the process I perfected.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd like Disney to ask Mr Harris to work on The Last Valley (1971), a beautifully photographed film shot on a large format. I don't know if it will need a restoration or just a bit of TLC, I suppose you don't really know until you start opening those film cans.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Like most people who know Mr Harris purely through this forum know of his love for The Alamo so would have been very surprised if it wasn't choice number 1 :)

There are without doubt so many movies that I have never heard (so many I only found here) so using the old venn diagram how about The Magnificent Ambersons or El Cid ?

Regards,

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I'd like to see The Great Ziegfeld, and, The Talk of the Town get some love, also 80 Days, The Alamo, Ryan's Daughter, El Cid, Fall of the Roman Empire and some of the earliest Busby Berkeley and Astaire/Rogers musicals. Personal favorites like National Velvet and Holiday in Mexico would also be on this list.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While The Searchers can use a bit of help, and as much as I both highly respect the film, and would like to be involved, this can be done internally, using the process I perfected.
I would hope to see Criterion get a chance at releasing this from Warner as getting a 4K/UHD probably isn't going to happen.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Like most people who know Mr Harris purely through this forum know of his love for The Alamo so would have been very surprised if it wasn't choice number 1 :)

There are without doubt so many movies that I have never heard (so many I only found here) so using the old venn diagram how about The Magnificent Ambersons or El Cid
Regards,
Was disappointed about the dvd release of The Magnificent Ambersons a few years ago and TCM still broadcasts the same old print of the film. Glad i still have my Criterion laserdiscs with the commentary

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I suppose there's a fine line between a film needing restoration & a film just a wee bit too far gone & beyond a good looking restoration. A favourite from my childhood would be Northwest Passage (1940), I don't know if that's too far gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks