1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

to move or not to move?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Four, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Ed Four

Ed Four Auditioning

I want to start off saying this is a hypothetical situation before I get a lot of requests on my speakers or room dimensions.

Say that in your current 5.1 setup you have dipoles for the surrounds. Itching to upgrade, you decide to go the 7.1 route.

Now what do you do with your dipoles? Do they stay and you add two more dipoles for the rear surrounds? Do they stay and you add two conventional speakers for the rear surrounds. Do you move them to the rear as the rear surrounds and put conventional speakers as the side surrounds?

As I am always looking for new speakers, I was wondering what would lay the best groundwork for a future upgrade. I guess the ultimate question is - Is it better to go with dipoles or conventional speakers in a 5.1 system if you are planning a 7.1 upgrade.

Thanks,
    Ed

2. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

It depends. If you have a proper room and you are doing mostly HT then I'd go with dipoles. If you don't have walls in the right places then dipoles don't work. If you listen to multichannel music then dipoles don't work, imo.

3. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

4. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

I'd say go direct radiator style for the rear channels.

Most of the newer discreet mixes are done with the rear channels used the same way the fronts are, not for ambience anymore so much as discreet sound effects and music.

Any reflected sound might mess with the mix a bit.

Just my opinion.

5. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Ed,I totally agree with Geoff & Sean.I have 2 pairs of Def-Tech BP1's,which are a bipolar surround speaker.The pair for the sides has always sounded great,but my new pair for the back wall does not sound right.I unhooked the back pair and temporarily hooked up a pair of bookshelf speakers (direct rad.)from my family room and the sound improved dramatically.In Gladiator when Crowe throws the sword using the bipolar speakers it sounded O.K. But not like I had heard it at a demo.When I changed to the directs it sounded like the sword was clipping the top of my head.A huge improvement.Hope this helps.

Wayner