To MGM: Tom and Jerry Cartoons

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eugene Esterly, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

To MGM,

I believe that it would a great idea to make a boxed set of all of the old Tom and Jerry Cartoons (Tom and Jerry cartoons must be released in their original uncut format)

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    WB-Japan has a complete box set of the cartoons with excellent transfers.
    WB is obviously holding back their entire cartoon library, so I suppose they're waiting for a wave of releases.
    I'd personally like a box set of the guilty-pleasure Gene Deitch Tom & Jerry cartoons. [​IMG]

3. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

4. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

Quote:

"I'd personally like a box set of the guilty-pleasure Gene Deitch Tom & Jerry cartoons."

Are you serious about this, Patrick? I would hate to have these atrocious travesties of the classic T&J formula sitting side by side with the genuine articles! Come to think of it, not even Chuck Jones' contribution - much as I love his work in general - can be compared to the originals!

These last couple of days I have been watching the MICKEY MOUSE IN LIVING COLOR 2-Disc set from Disney, which I enjoyed a great deal. In fact, it got me thinking again that we need Box Sets of Tom & Jerry, Tex Avery and Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes cartoons. These all belong to Warners, and I sincerely hope that when they finally decide to release all of them (fully restored and in their uncut form), they will follow Disney's lead and include some thoughtful supplements!

These cartoons are no mere children's entertainment - they are as much works of genius as any number of great films one can think of!

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There is a seperate unedited Japanese set that does have widescreen and is unedited. I think it's about $25 more and hard to find

6. Kamrano

Kamrano Extra

Does anyone have anymore information about these DVDs?