"To Live" finally coming to DVD...thank you MGM!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim RH, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

According to the Digital Bits, Zhang Yimou's masterpiece To Live (aka Huozhe, 1994) will finally be released on a decent Region 1 DVD this July 1 in anamorphic widescreen. If you haven't seen this movie already, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Now if only we could get good editions of Yimou's other classics like Raise the Red Lantern!

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Tim, you beat me to it. [​IMG] I was also excited to see Rhapsody in August announced - more Kurosawa is always a good thing.

And yes, where are those other Yimou titles like RTRL, Red Sorghum, and Ju Dou?

3. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

I will be happy to have To Live on DVD. Since MGM/UA also owns Raise the Red Lantern (the Zhang Yimou film at the top of my list), here's hoping it's earmarked as an upcoming release.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Ju Dou had an absolutely awful pan & scan release from Pioneer/Artisan. I picked it up before I knew it was messed up, and it's one of the worst releases in my collection. I hope someone does the film justice someday.

-Dave

5. ShaunS

ShaunS Stunt Coordinator

Well I guess "Hero" is to come out in a special edition as well. Perhaps this is a good sign that others will soon follow. "To Live" was a nice DVD, though not a film up to some of his others quality wise. I would buy any DVD of any of Yimou's films at any price. His movies mean that much to me.

ShaunS

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

To Live is my favorite Yimou film so this is great news for me.